About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands - Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Job Description – Algorithm Development Engineer
The Human Identification Division (HID is looking to hire an algorithm development engineer who can help us
solve complex technical problems with ingenuity and simplicity. In this role you will be a member of a team
developing state of the art systems for different DNA based Human identification applications that are used by
forensic labs all over the world. Your will collaborate with scientists and engineers from different backgrounds
and you will work to translate R&D into sensible end user facing HID applications. You should also be well versed
and comfortable with the full stack software necessary in building those applications as well as development
lifecycle, from requirements identification and prototyping, through design and implementation, to customer
acceptance and delivery.
- Collaborate with scientists in the business to understand requirements and develop data analysis strategies and plans to meet them.
- Implement bioinformatics data integration and analysis pipelines for both Next Generation Sequencing and traditional Sanger sequencing data using tools like Java and other appropriate scripting languages.
- Develop visualization environments in reporting tools to enable scientists to explore the data and answer questions.
- Present results in written and verbal methods.
- Responsible for initial design and development of new software and/or extensive software revisions.
- Define technical requirements and create high-level architectural specifications, ensuring feasibility,functionality, and integration with existing systems/platforms.
- Represent the team in cross-organizational development forums as well as customer requirements gathering and software validation and training sessions.
Minimum Qualifications (must have)
- Strong algorithm development skills in the areas of signal processing, classification and/or computation.
- Strong statistical and computational skills, particularly in data parsing, data modeling and analysis.
- Solid knowledge of Unix/Linux. Experience with cluster computing a plus.
- Understanding of object oriented design and programming.
- Solid hands experience with Java or C++. Other languages (Python, R, etc. will be considered).
- Prior exposure to scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Bash) on Linux or Unix.
- Bioinformatics Knowledge preferred but not necessary.
- Graduate degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering/ Applied mathematics or equivalent.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.