Job ID :
US - Virginia - Middletown
Position Summary and Essential Functions:
- Coordinates activities involved with procurement of Indirect Materials such as equipment, tools and supplies to support the facility and Direct materials as requested. Obtains quotations, examines bids and places purchase orders with suppliers to obtain the best price and savings. Responsible for minimizing obsolescence, excess, and scrap for items within his/her control.
- Reviews expedite report and reschedules accordingly. Works with Planners and Senior Buyers where appropriate to understand exact need and assure parts come in as required. Obtain confirmations on all new purchase orders in a timely fashion and file as obtained.
- Monitors supplier relationships including delivery performance and quality for indirect materials and will take appropriate action to correct unsatisfactory results. Resolves term, credit and payment problems (in conjunction with Accounts Payable).
- Drives and develops new sources of supply. Obtains all required approval documentation and assists in qualification of new source. Initiates and reviews bid proposals and negotiates contracts within budgetary limits.
- Informs Manager regarding market trends, material shortages and general economic conditions.
- Coordinates with Planning and other Buyers to reschedule production and Maintenance to reschedule planned work when purchased material cannot be available in time.
- Achieve budgeted cost reductions and PPV’s (for assigned materials).
- Recommends operational improvements.
- Works with and monitors subcontractors to insure that all items that are supplied to them by Thermo Fisher Scientific are received on a timely basis to meet required delivery schedules. Recommend and make procedure changes with indirect materials to streamline processes and obtain savings.
- Purchases expense and capital items as assigned.
- Leads projects assigned by the Manager and support Senior Buyers in daily work as needed.
- Bachelors degree in Business, Production Management or Procurement or 3 years experience in Purchasing and or Production/Inventory Control. Background in Chemistry and or Life Sciences preferred.
- Procurement experience utilizing MRP II software in a manufacturing environment SAP a plus.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Requires excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and prioritization skills.
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills (the ability to view a situation logically, break it down into manageable tasks, and to identify alternative plans of action)
- Good planning, organizational and time use skills enabling management of multiple competing priorities and follow through on all commitments.
- Excellent computer skills (MRP II software SAP a plus, MS office)
- Leadership skills as exemplified by the ability to influence the actions and opinion of others
- Working knowledge of MRP II/ERP systems and state of the art supply chain techniques as they relate to the procurement function
- Demonstrated ability to manage processes
- Demonstrated negotiation and sourcing skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of ISO/FDA and other regulatory requirements