Job Title: Process Improvement Specialist
Working hours: 35 hours per week including an early finish on Fridays
Package includes: Competitive salary, 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays), life assurance cover, subsidised private medical insurance, pension scheme.
When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources
and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
This role is based at our Microbiology (MBD) site in Basingstoke. Our microbiology products are used to diagnose infectious disease and identify appropriate antibiotic treatment, confirm that food and beverage products are safe to eat and drink, and ensure that pharmaceutical products are sterile. Our broad range products include prepared and dehydrated culture media, rapid and direct specimen tests, and flu testing kits.
Key objectives of the position are to provide overall PPI Business System program support via:
- Coaching and mentoring in PPI and Lean tools
- Development of Current and Future State value stream maps that provide roadmap for driving safety, quality, delivery, and cost productivity improvements.
- Supporting a culture of continuous improvement to support improved customer allegiance and profitable growth.
- Apply Project Management tools and concepts to ensure effective execution. This individual may also lead key business projects.
- Supports the local PPI Steering Committees across all European sites activities and facilitates determination project methodology to be applied (Project Management, Formal PPI, Solo PPI, Kaizen, RCCM, Just Do It, etc.) as needed.
- Partners with Site and BU leadership teams to align improvement initiatives with the top priorities for improving site customer, operational and financial performance.
- Lead and facilitate continuous improvement efforts in support of corporate strategic goals; including providing lean training to departments and teams and leading kaizen events.
- Lead utilization of the PPI Business System
- Apply Project Management tools and concepts to effectively execute key business projects
- Deliver training in the PPI Business System and Project Management. Capture and record training and project improvements. Align projects to support business needs and targets.
- Manage/lead key business projects, as needed.
- Manage and facilitate continuous improvement projects and Kaizen events.
- Support development of process managers and kaizen leaders via training of lean principles with an emphasis on learning by doing in the Gemba
- Ensure value stream maps and future state implementation plans are current and managed within the value streams with the local teams.
- Compile and report on measureable indicators for lean improvement performance.
- Facilitate development of project plans, track project progress and status updates for key initiatives utilizing formal project management concepts.
- Champion, track, measure and report on PPI-Business System savings monthly for leadership and develop status communication plans and information required for Corporate PPI Business System Leadership.
- Act as a change agent and constantly challenge the status quo.
- Develop, qualify, and coordinate activity of Lean Coaches and Process Managers.
- Accelerate best practice adoption across the division.
- Share/learn best practices from other businesses.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Three (3) + years of operational experience focused on lean implementations, with experience in areas such as; daily management, 5S, value stream mapping, material flow, poka yoke, quick change over and Kaizen events. Preference for lean experience from company with a formal lean business system.
- Demonstrated results using lean concepts
- Demonstrated technical skills and expertise in lean tools and concepts, with emphasis on implementation
- PPI Process Manager Qualification, or similar experience
- Project Management training and application. MS project skills are a plus.
- Solid foundation in Root Cause Problem Solving, Process Flow / Value stream Mapping and Standard Work application.
- Ability to lead teams to achieve successful results through Continuous Improvement activities
- Strong interpersonal skills. Must be able to interface & influence effectively at all l levels of the organization and work effectively in a matrix environment.
- Self motivated with strong coaching and mentoring skills. Innovative, dynamic, multi-tasking.
- Effective, articulate and concise communication - written, verbal and presentation skills.
- BS or BA - Degree in Business, Engineering, or Operations related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Formal continuous improvement training and certification preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.