When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Title: R&D Engineering Manager
How You Will Make A Difference:
The R&D Engineering Manager will provide leadership for a team of 10 to 15 engineers and project coordinators at the Marietta, OH Manufacturing facility primarily focused on Sustaining Engineering activities. The engineering team there focuses on product quality improvement, productivity engineering, component obsolescence & new product development implementation support for the business unit R&D teams which are located at various sites globally. The R&D engineering manager also provides leadership for a team of engineers at our India engineering center.
What You Will Get To Do:
· Provide leadership, supervision and coordination for design activities related to existing products and custom equipment manufactured in Marietta.
· Work with global Research and Development (R&D) teams to maintain alignment on business unit R&D and existing product development road maps and resources in Marietta.
· Ensure site revenue streams are not impacted by design obsolescence issues by prioritization and proactive obsolescence identification.
· Support the operations team plans around plant layout optimization and integration of new manufacturing lines.
· Manage and balance workload and budget using a combination of internal and external resources.
· Utilize India Engineering Center as primary resource for low level sustaining engineering work and cost reduction.
· Work effectively with global cross-functional teams during all phases of the toll-gate NPD process and CFIT support.
· Communicate with internal product compliance team to address compliance issues what that will impact product manufacturing or design.
· Continued improvement of the global Existing Product Change process.
· Communicate with customers to resolve complaints related to quality or design.
· Manage design related activities with the local engineering change process to provide accurate and timely response to operational issues.
· Participate in Marketing Driven R&D events to ensure Marietta manufacturing needs are integrated into the business unit plans.
· Act as point of contact for global R&D and commercial teams, as well as, all BU’s.
· Provide support for yearly annual operating plan by developing yearly plan for EPD team including budgeting and resources requirements.
· Provide coaching, guidance and support for the continued professional development of the technical staff that report to this position.
· Perform all job duties in a safe manner and obey all safety policies and procedures.
· Perform all job duties consistent with the Code of Ethics, Diversity and Inclusion, and the 4-I Values .
· Perform all job duties within ISO standards, regulatory or statutory requirements.
· Participate in Continuous Improvement and support all PPI, Keys and Lean projects.
· Perform other duties and cross training as assigned.
· Regulatory experience : FDA, UL, CSA
· Bachelors degree in Mechanical, Electrical or other Engineering field
· 5 to 10 years experience leading engineering teams strongly preferred. Manufacturing environment experience .
· Strong written and verbal communications skills
· High levels of self-discipline, drive, and a proven ability to lead a small cross functional project team
· Design for Six Sigma skills is preferred. ISO experience preferred.
· Experienced transitioning new products to production.
· Strong analytical skills
· Experience creating designs to be produced in multiple global manufacturing sites preferred
· Experience using and implementing modularity and standardization principles
· Ability to integrate global standards and regulations into design
· Ability to travel as required, <10% of the time
· Working conditions require the ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, climb stairs, work at a computer station and on manufacturing shop floor
· Ability to frequently lift up to 20 lbs; occasionally lift 40 lbs
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment
· Other duties may be assigned as necessary
· Some travel may be required
Relocation budget has been approved for this position.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com