About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our five premier brands, Invitrogen, Applied Biosystems, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
The Human Identification Division (HID) team is looking to hire a bioinformatics scientist to join a cross functional team tasked with developing and supporting a variety of applications in the next generation sequencing space. In this role, you will be working with software engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, and key opinion leaders in the field to develop and implement data analysis tools.
- Implement analysis pipelines for next generation sequence analysis using Python, Perl, other scripting languages.
- Develop tools using Java, C++ or language of choice.
- Statistical analysis fundamentals and scientific programming
- Collaborate with experts in the field to develop custom data analysis.
- Written and verbal presentation of results and methods, as communication with academic collaborators is essential.
- Extensive background in sequence analysis and experimental data analysis.
- Broad knowledge of genomic databases (e.g. Genbank, 1000 Genomes, dbSNP)
- Familiarity with sequence analysis tools (e.g. samtools, vcftools, UCSC Genome Browser)
- Basic understanding of biology behind genotyping and human variation
- Proficient in Unix/Linux environment
- Understanding of object oriented design and programming.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics or equivalent discipline
Nice to have
- Knowledge of forensic applications.
- Familiarity with the Ion Torrent sequencing tools (TMAP, Variant Caller).
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics or equivalent discipline
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.