About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our five premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Job Title: Segment Head, Biosciences Division (BID), Licensing and Commercial Supply
Develops, executes and oversees the commercial supply and out-licensing global strategy of Biosciences Division products and intellectual property assets. The Licensing and Commercial Supply team works across the LSG Divisions, developing innovative solutions for customers who license our technologies and/or adopt our products across their offerings.
- Develops, executes and oversees the commercial supply and out-licensing global strategy of Biosciences Division products and intellectual property assets and participates as a member of the Biosciences Division Leadership Team.
- Leads strategy development for commercial supply and licensing to life sciences tools companies
- Directly leads the development and adaptation of the BID offering in Molecular Biology, Protein and Cell Analysis, Antibodies and Immunoassay business units for OEM, Commercial Supply and Out-licensing
- Develops positioning and pricing strategies.
- Identifies resource requirements and projected returns.
- Develops prioritization and execution plans.
- Directly manages a team skilled in IP management, licensing, contract development, strategic product management, applications development, and management of custom projects across functions.
- Develops go-to-market strategies and tactics
- Leads project teams involving R&D, product management, in-licensing, operations, regulatory, and other functions as needed, to execute collaborations with key customers.
- Develops valuation and pricing models for licensing and product pricing and applies and adapts them to specific opportunities involving multi-year contracts.
- Collaborates closely with Licensing and Commercial Supply counterparts in other divisions in LSG and in other groups to unify offerings for customers
- Provides guidance and content to Marketing relevant to Biosciences Division offerings.
- Develops relationships with outside third parties, such as instrument platform companies for co-marketing or sub-contracting to them.
- Global scope: this position will assume strategic leadership of BID out-licensing and commercial supply opportunities globally, and will travel extensively across regions to provide leadership and support and to conduct periodic reviews of LCS-Region team performance with the senior leaders of each region. Is frequently in the field, visiting customers and providing direction to LCS field teams and to region-based colleagues.
- Ability to understand technology platforms applicable to Biosciences and assess industry trends, competitor positioning, and opportunities and develop strategies.
- Deep understanding of Life Sciences markets (i.e. life sciences research tools, human and animal diagnostics, vaccines, therapeutics, forensics, etc.) and diverse products and technologies, including but not limited molecular and cell biology, protein and cell analysis, antibodies, immunoassays, synthetic biology, etc.
- Practical knowledge of intellectual property and contract law
- Ability to develop and sell business plans internally, make revenue and profit commitments, and engage resources across business units and sites to deliver on them.
- Ability to lead by influence across functions including R&D, product management, project management, production, legal, QA, and regulatory; demonstrate judgment in assessing and deploying competencies across our organization.
- Demonstrate considerable initiative and possess the skills to develop, challenge, sell, and defend positions regarding out-licensing opportunities of significance across leaders in the company.
- Ability to create superior levels of trust with executive-level customers.
- Experience executing deals of high complexity requiring investments by customers of hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars.
- Ability to provide direction to a marketing function for a consultative, customized business model.
- Ability to develop an effective team of direct reports in product and project management, licensing, and contract development that works effectively with colleagues in the division, in the field, and with customers.
- Minimum 10 to 12 years of experience in roles applying the above skills.
- Degree in life science required.
This role works in an office in Carlsbad, California and is expected to travel approximately 30-35%.