Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual revenues of $10.5 billion, we have more than 34,000 employees and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike.
Job Title: Account Manager
Reports To: Regional Manager
Group/Division: Customer Channels Group / Research and Safety Division
Position Location: Birmingham/Midlands location
- Achieve or exceed sales and margin targets for your designated territory.
- Develop and execute a strategic and tactical sales plan for specified region to ensure revenue and gross margin objectives are met by using company defined financial models.
- Maintain effective customer relationships and assure continued market penetration and profitability by making in depth calls to end user and purchasing contacts.
- Use communication and influencing skills to effectively utilize internal resources and maximize selling time.
- Work to drive product sales to support supplier partnerships and actively promote core products and value added services.
- Work closely with fellow sales team members within the customer, e.g. Specialist representatives.
- Execute account strategies for Program Accounts as communicated by Industry Directors and for Non-Program accounts as determined by you and your Regional Manager.
- Identify and satisfy customer requirements and meet the needs of valued business opportunities.
- Provide feedback using verbal and written reporting tools to the business on customers, competitor activity, promotions etc, to agreed timescales and in agreed format as directed by your Regional Manager.
- Comply with deadlines on required elements of personal administration including, but not limited to maintenance of the sales force automation system (SalesLogix or Salesforce.com), personal expenses and mileage capture for company car drivers. Ensure detail is accurate, provided in accordance with company procedures and on time.
- Develop and maintain a rounded understanding of the sales positioning of Thermo Fisher Scientific and its products within the various markets in which we operate. Using this knowledge, effectively leverage the strengths and breadth of the organization by building and maintaining an effective network of connections within the Thermo Fisher Scientific organization.
- Establish relationships with key suppliers and negotiate improved terms as and when possible to increase profitability to the company.
- Review, maintain and manage compliance to key performance indicators. To include, but not limited to, sales performance, call planning, call rate and opportunity management and follow up.
- Maintain a high level of business knowledge relevant to the region managed including competitor activity.
- Comply with deadlines on required elements of personal administration including, but not limited to maintenance of a sales force automation solution and expenses.
- Laboratory experience across a wide range of sectors including pharmaceutical, industrial and academic segments would be an advantage, particularly where there is a sound understanding of the current marketplace for laboratory equipment, consumables and/or chemicals.
- The ability to travel extensively within the region to meet customer needs, achieve sales and profitability targets and also to attend regional and national meetings.
- Good organizational/team work, time management, communication, presentation, strategic selling and negotiating skills.
- An ability to deliver a comprehensive value proposition to meet customer needs which includes all relative components of the company’s capabilities.
- Proficient with Word, Excel and PowerPoint a must, sales force automation a plus.
- Outgoing and confident personality, able to effectively engage with customers across a range of settings including one-to-one meetings, exhibitions and formal presentations, across all sectors in which we operate.
- This Role operates within a Matrix environment requiring the post holder to work effectively with multiple stakeholders, to manage both competing requirements and concurrent project activity. Strong project, time and stakeholder management competency is therefore essential to maintain several priorities and meet established deadlines.
- Strong work-ethic, the ideal candidate will have a commitment to continuous learning, show career progression and development, and seek opportunities to stretch capabilities.
- Demonstrated 4-I values (integrity, intensity, innovation and involvement).
- Effectively perform your duties while acting at all times in accordance with the Dignity at Work Policy, Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and our values of Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- Embrace and participate in PPI initiatives to identify improvements and cost savings to the business.
- You are required to be smartly presented at all times and have a professional approach when dealing with customers and key stakeholders.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- A degree level education is essential, with preference given where degree subject has a strong relevance to our business.
- English: Full professional proficiency in addition to local language.
- Relevant experience.
- Full driver’s license.
As the world leader in serving science, our work is more than something that fills our days. When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. It’s not just a career, it’s a chance to realise your best – professionally and personally.
Join us and contribute to our mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!