When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How You’ll Make a Difference:
This position is responsible for the coordination of all the manufacturing and product optimization engineering (POE) (current model design engineering) activities for the 3 sites under the WAI (Water Analysis Instruments) a part of the greater WLP (Water Laboratory Products) Business unit. This role will have direct reports of all engineers in the Chelmsford, MA site and a dotted line reporting for the engineering teams in Puerto Rico and Singapore.
What You’ll Get To Do:
The successful candidate is expected to fulfill a triple role: Global Mfg. and POE Engineering Manager, ME&POE Engineering Manager for Chelmsford, and Local Senior Mechanical Engineer.
As Global Mfg. & POE Engineering Manager:
- Support the manufacturing and engineering operations at Puerto Rico and Singapore by regular interaction and visits to these sites. Provide the leadership and strategic planning for all manufacturing engineering activities and product optimization engineering projects for the 3 sites within the WAI business.
- Develop a 3-year Capital Expense Plan (CapEx) and monitor adherence to current CapEx for all 3 sites within the business unit.
- Lead the transfer of new products from R&D to production by providing design input for manufacturability, testability, manufacturing strategy, and cost management.
As ME&POE Engineering Manager for Chelmsford, MA:
- Lead a staff of Manufacturing and POE Engineers. Coordinate and prioritize the daily responsibilities, including continuous improvement projects, cycle time reduction, and production troubleshooting in a lean environment.
- Develop, implement, and maintain the manufacturing processes, the QC test methods, and the related documentation required to manufacture every product within its specifications, schedule, and budget.
- Maintain up to date the training matrix for all subordinates on all aspects of the job.
- Conduct recurrent meetings to maintain and inform the Manufacturing, Quality, Supply Chain, and Marketing Departments on status of PPI project activities.
- Work in concert with the Quality teams to identify, correct, and prevent product reliability issues. Analyze data for early detection of possible epidemic problems and generate input for new design projects.
- Work with the Manufacturing and Quality teams to ensure the proper work instructions are in place to produce predictable products based on the design intent of all products.
- Supervise the department operating budget.
As Local Senior Mechanical Engineer:
- Identify potential work related hazards and assist with the implementation of safer alternatives.
- Seek PPI Project opportunities for improvements in key measurement areas (speed, cost, quality, and productivity). Drive high dollar product quality projects that produce significant value for the business through sustaining engineering activities.
- Work with the Supply Chain Department to identify and implement Sourcing Savings projects.
- Assess equipment status and identify risk of obsolescence, upgrade needs, or large productivity gains. Evaluate and implement necessary upgrades to maintain a world-class manufacturing environment.
- Assist the Maintenance/Facilities Department on complex mechanical failures.
- Support production management requirements to achieve the maximum level of customer service.
- Maintain the software SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and PDM up to date, assist with new installations, and manage the yearly upgrades.
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Other disciplines like Electrical Engineering or Chemistry will also be considered.
- 5 Years of experience managing Manufacturing and / or Product Optimization Engineering
- Solid knowledge and demonstrated experience with Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Strong project management and team leadership skills required.
- Experience with SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and PDM enterprise.
- Experience with Engineering Change Order (ECO) preferably via SAP.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.