When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Water & Lab Products, Laboratory Market Product Director is a global position leading a team that is responsible for the growth of business unit’s key market segments through innovation and effective product line management to maximize revenue and profitability. This position is an integral part of the business unit’s leadership team and requires management and development of direct reports.
• Product Life Cycle Management –Manage a team of global product managers to develop and implement product life cycle strategy, define new product introduction priorities, product enhancements for launched products and a strategy to retire/obsolete older products by applying sound product life-cycle management tools, techniques and principles. Implement strategic product marketing programs to drive profitable sales.
• New Product Introductions – define and gain agreement to high-impact new product introductions with high return on investment based on sound customer, market and competitor analysis including strong “Voice of the customer” (VOC) analysis and rigorous customer requirements development. In doing so, apply leadership leveraging the product development and product management processes with a high level of rigor. Achieve annual product vitality targets.
• Business Development – drive new sources of revenue and competitive advantage. Identify, recommend and facilitate partnerships/alliances with other firms as necessary to strengthen portfolio. Identify and lead potential business development opportunities.
• Pricing Strategy – lead the price/position strategy for the annual list price increase. Meet annual realized price increase objectives.
• Business Segment Financial Performance – meet and exceed revenue and operating profit targets in yearly operating plan for all product lines.
• Business Segment Planning and Forecasting – take leading role in driving accurate forecasting utilizing processes such as the sales, inventory and operations planning process (SIOP).
• Cross-Functional Leadership - Establish, maintain and manage global cross-functional business teams to ensure alignment on programs, manage issues and capture functional input relative to the strategic planning to achieve annual growth objectives.
• Product Marketing Programs – systematically evaluate and execute programs that will drive near –term revenue to include competitive assessments including product offerings, selling techniques, customer perceptions, pricing, strength/weakness analysis
• Sales Training and Support – develop and execute effective sales product training programs for all current and new products emphasizing product competitive advantages, “sell against” strategies and tactics and provide on-going sales support to move customers toward offerings
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Minimum of a BS degree is required. MS and an MBA is highly preferred.
• Strong technical capabilities related to the lab products market segment.
• 10+ years’ experience including global leadership responsibility in related marketing, product management and sales roles.
• Has worked in marketing and led customer focused organizations preferable with significant experience managing growth in emerging markets.
• Experience managing market development and product portfolios, including driving product development with R/D and setting strategic direction for channel selection and branding.
• Experience in developing and launching new products in a global matrix organization.
• Commercial experience working with customers, channels, and commercial teams.
• Able to work closely with Operations to secure product availability and delivery.
• Experience with strategic planning, forecasting, budgeting and analysis of business situations, competitive profiles and pricing analysis
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills working with all levels of employees and leaders.
• Comfortable with domestic and international travel up to 50% of the time.
People Leadership Qualifications:
• Demonstrated professional and personal values consistent with the Thermo Fisher 4i Values.
• Strong vision and focus on where to take the business coupled with the courage, drive, and discipline to execute.
• Proven ability to build high levels of employee engagement, high performing teams and bench strength.
• Exceptional performance and a record of achievement demonstrating leadership capabilities across a geographically separated team in a matrix organization.
• Demonstrated ability to inspire people, including building high levels of trust and commitment.
Relocation budget may be considered for this role.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.