Job Title: Staff Engineer, Mechanical Manufacturing
Requisition ID: 50224BR
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals
This candidate will work within a highly motivated and diverse team of professionals to develop, commercialize, support and transfer complex life-science instrumentation. He or she will be responsible for developing manufacturing processes for complex instrument systems and leading the technology transfer from the RD group to Manufacturing. Instruments may include technologies such as microfluidic devices, precision robotic assemblies, opto-mechnical assemblies and pneumatic devices. This candidate will also be responsible for production support of instrument lines already released into Manufacturing.
- Design, develop and implement new, complex, equipment and manufacturing processes.
- Plan, manage and lead projects according to timeline and budget.
- Create and maintain project schedules, validation reports, manufacturing plans, test plans and test reports.
- Develop and lead implementation of manufacturing release strategies.
- Conduct process analysis and root cause analysis for manufacturing processes.
- Design and conduct engineering experiments and analyze data.
- Evaluate instrument design and manufacturing processes to identify and implement cost reduction measures and improve product quality.
- Develop manufacturing documentation such as engineering changes, BOMs, fab drawings, flow diagrams, SOPs, Procedures, assembly drawings, etc.
- Mentor less experienced engineers.
- Train production personnel.
- Review product designs and provide DFM feedback.
- Build, evaluate and troubleshoot prototype units.
- Develop and implement fixtures, assembly jigs and tools for use during production
- Lead technology transfers from R&D to Manufacturing and/or from manufacturing site to Manufacturing site.
- Provide production support to ensure revenue targets are met or exceeded.
- Identify and implement manufacturing cost reductions.
- Establishes manufacturing partners.
- BS in Engineering and minimum 12 Years directly related experience in a manufacturing engineering environment or MS in Engineering and minimum 10 years of experience.
- Strong understanding of all aspects of new product development and design for manufacturability (DFM).
- Proven leadership ability and previous experience leading small to medium size teams
- Experience in computer-aided design and analysis tools including Pro/Engineer, Wildfire, Pro/Intralink, LabView, MatLab, and Excel
- Broad experience in fabrication techniques such as molding, castings, machining, forming, bending, etc.
- Previous experience developing BOM structure for instrumentation systems or other complex systems.
- Previous experience supporting instrument production in an ISO 9001 environment
- Strong documentation skills are a must.
- Familiarity with design for six-sigma (DFSS) and critical parameter management (CPM) processes is desirable.
- Knowledge of life-science research market a plus; instruments, protocols, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
- Effective team collaboration skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work in cross-functional, multi-departmental team and ensure that designs interface properly with other system components or modules.
- Good interpersonal and teambuilding skills.
- Analytical problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
This position does not have relocation allowance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.