When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Job Summary: Refrigeration Engineer for Laboratory Products Division (LPD). The candidate shall develop refrigeration systems and components for new cold storage products manufactured globally.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates with New Product Development (NPD) team members to develop the refrigeration systems for the Company’s products, including -86C Cascade, -150C Auto Cascade & Conventional systems ranging from 4C to -40C.
- Working with other cross functional groups, identify and implement projects for design optimization which include quality improvements, vitality through minor upgrades, design for assembly, cost reduction, and design for sustainability.
- Develop the effective refrigeration system to achieve top-rank quality and long term reliability while at the same time providing environmental-friendly product designs and meeting regulatory requirements. This includes but is not limited to refrigeration loops, heat exchangers, fluid-flow and best design practices. Develop proper specifications for system level performance, subsystem performance and component performance.
- Analyze the thermal behavior of the refrigeration system to include all heat & mass transfer mechanisms, fluid flows, and phase changes by use of predictive thermal fluid modeling and other thermo-physical tools, for component selection, and overall refrigeration system design in new products.
- Develop and execute test plans to validate the performance of new developed refrigeration systems and upgraded existing products by utilizing design for reliability tools and performance sensitivity analysis. Consideration must be given to the applicable third party certifications, for example: FDA, UL, CE, CSA etc.
- Lead innovative advanced technology projects that will support future NPD projects and / or intellectual property.
- Work effectively with global cross-functional teams during all phases of the toll-gate NPD Process.
- Working alongside our Electrical engineers, the candidate will design refrigeration control systems including the selection, specification and evaluation of refrigeration control components.
- Design refrigeration systems to be modular for efficient Manufacturability and Assembly at various manufacturing locations around the world, and design refrigeration systems for ease of service.
- Design refrigeration systems that meet customer requirements, time to market commitments and that are within target cost commitments of the NPD and EPD projects.
Other Job Requirements:
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Physics.
- More than 3 years experience of product developments in refrigeration or air conditioning.
- Experience with Cascade Refrigeration systems is a plus.
- Must have strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Sense of ownership & urgency with projects and work assignments.
- Willingness and ability to work in a cross functional team environment.
- Design for Six Sigma skills is preferred.
- Strong analytical skills to be able to analyze empirical data for refrigeration systems.
- Ability to integrate global standards and regulations into design. Experience creating designs to be produced in multiple global manufacturing sites a plus.
- Experience with heat transfer system and design and analysis.
- Experience with design of HC based refrigeration systems preferred.
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Some travel may be required.
- 3 - 5 years experience in the design, selection, and evaluation of refrigeration systems and components.
- Experience utilizing analytical and/or experimental techniques related to heat transfer or cooling systems preferred.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Physics or related technical degree. Masters preferred.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.