Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
Manages the entire operation of the distribution center through subordinate supervisors. Responsible for overall warehouse productivity and performance metrics including all Receiving, Put-Away, Picking, Packing, Shipping, and Inventory Control functions. Responsible for all objectives pertaining to training and motivation of personnel as well as employee development programs.
**This position is located in Suwanee, GA.**
- Leads and manages all of the activities of the supervisors in the departments of Receiving, Put-Away, Picking, Packing, Shipping, and Inventory Control and holds direct reports for all day-to-day activities.
- Sets the standard for leadership in the facility and leads by example.
- Leads in a manner that is consistent with our organizational culture, which is based on four values: Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement and on open communication.
- Participates in the hiring process and recommends candidates for hire.
- Trains, develops and coaches staff.
- Ensures PMDs are conducted in a timely manner.
- Recommends and implements discipline and termination of employees when appropriate, with Human Resources’ approval.
- Promotes employee development, creative thinking, empowerment and two-way communication.
- Makes recommendations regarding workflow and overtime when needed.
- Ensures that all policies and procedures are followed accurately and efficiently.
- Oversees administrative staff to ensure that an even flow of orders are released per the order picking schedule.
- Reviews all internal reports to measure and assess operational effectiveness, to ensure timely shipment of all orders and adherence to facility goals.
- Works and communicates directly with the Area Director to ensure total P & L goals and objectives are being met.
- Is creative in identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Ensures that storage of materials is in keeping with State, DEA, ATF and OSHA regulations.
- Resolves problems that prevent a timely and efficient handling of inbound and outbound orders.
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with all regulatory and operational procedures.
- Conducts meetings with personnel to review performance/results and perform operational training.
- Ensures that all department training needs are satisfied. Assists in preparing and maintaining SOP’s for Distribution Center.
- Assumes the duties of the Supervisors in their functional areas in the event of their absence.
- Oversees cross-training of all distribution center employees as required by cross training matrix.
- Interacts with MIS to ensure that all equipment is in proper working order.
- Communicates with Maintenance Department to ensure that preventative maintenance is completed on all stretch wrappers, forklifts, walkie-riders, palletizers, dock-doors/plates, scales, freezers, heaters, lights, material handling equipment and internal assets.
- Prepares a variety of reports, including the monthly metrics report for each employee and shares the information on an ongoing basis. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain, or a related field, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Must possess 5 years of progressive management experience in a distribution operations environment.
- Must have knowledge of operational safety and health requirements.
- Must possess basic understanding of transportation related issues.
- Must possess current knowledge of regulatory requirements including DOT and HAZMAT.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Must possess the leadership and supervisory skills be able to lead, coach and motivate a large number of employees along with excellent interpersonal skills to relate well to employees, peers, various levels of management, and have a strong customer orientation to develop strong customer relationships.
- Must possess strong written and communication skills to clearly express ideas, share information with employees, communicate well with customers and various management levels of the Distribution organization, develop and deliver training related to warehouse operations, including compliance training, write procedures and develop plans. Must be able to handle conflict well and give positive and negative feedback along with managing performance issues.
- Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills to be able to evaluate, interpret information and procedures, understand and act on and resolve issues with creative problem solving.
- Must possess strong organizational skills to meet deadlines, assist staff in prioritizing work and handle multiple projects.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment and decision-making skills in dealing with a variety of routine issues.
- Must be able to be focused on continuous improvement while showing respect for individuals.
- Must be computer literate and possess intermediate skills in Microsoft Suite, Outlook, Word, and Excel and Warehouse Management Systems.
- Limited travel is required
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Ability to work in a warehouse environment with no air conditioning in the summer
- Must be able to perform the supervisor’s and other jobs in the warehouse when team is short staffed.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer