When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
How You Will Make A Difference:
The Senior Industrial Designer will participate in designing and developing laboratory equipment from basic concepts to fully working design solutions, following the development of products through to production and manufacturing. This role will collaborate with researchers to understand user needs and implement user-centered design on a wide range of products. The designer should have experience developing new products, including aspects of form, aesthetics, human factors, and ergonomics. The designer will also collaborate with engineers in the conceptualization and development of new products with sensitivity to design for manufacturing and assembly and create mechanical and technical specifications for manufacturing as necessary.
What You Will Get to Do:
Candidates must have strong verbal and visual communication skills to interact with internal teams and give convincing stakeholder presentations. Key responsibilities of this role include:
· Collaborate with team members to gather, analyze and synthesize user research and market data to define appropriate functionality and product requirements to drive future designs.
· Effectively lead brainstorms and innovation sessions with multiple cross functional participants to develop and deliver solutions that provide world class experiences.
· Create sketches, 3D models, prototypes, and proof of concept models that effectively communicate design intent, meet business goals and customer needs.
· Based on feedback, iterate concepts and provide functional prototypes and presentation quality prototypes for internal and external presentations.
· Collaboration with operations on key activities such as cost reduction via common design elements and sourcing of common parts.
· Work closely with manufacturing and engineering teams to see the industrial design through the development and production process.
· Portfolio link should be provided on resume.
· Bachelor’s degree in Industrial / product design, or similar degree
· 5+ years of work experience
· Hands-on experience directly developing products
· Strong problem solving skills
· Commitment to the customer and to product quality
· Capable of juggling a number of priorities and delivering results in a high pressure,
· Passion for identifying problems and inventing solutions for the user
· Excellent sketching and photorealistic rendering skills
· Advanced skill level with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
· Proficient in 3D CAD software and modeling skills
· Experience with a wide variety of manufacturing processes involving plastic and sheet metal, and familiarity with packaging electronic components and multiple parts assemblies
· Domestic and international travel to support new product development up to 25%
· Flexibility as needed to work with European teams and time zones
· Fluency in German is a plus
Relocation Assistance has not been approved for this role.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com