The Laboratory Consumables Representative is responsible for achieving budgetary targets by selling the life science and manual liquid handling product lines through multiple sales channels within a defined geographic territory. This individual must design, implement, and execute short and long-term sales strategies that will result in territory growth. Being goal-oriented, proactive and well organized is necessary for success.
- A thorough understanding of the sales cycle and sales cycle management.
- Ability to sell products to multiple customer levels within an organization.
- Solid communication skills and the ability to work well in a team environment.
- Establishes contact with prospective customers by following up on company generated leads, prospecting to uncover new leads and by networking through existing customers. Strong cold calling skills will be necessary for success.
- Schedules and conducts product demonstrations to customers using detailed product knowledge and presenting the product first-hand.
- Prepares and plans a schedule that maximizes interaction with prospective customers.
- Self -motivated to improve product knowledge and sales techniques.
- Travels throughout assigned territory to call on regular and prospective customers to solicit orders or talks with customers on sales floor or by phone. Also travels as needed for sales meetings, sales training and tradeshows.
- Prepares expense reports, call reports, monthly reports and forecasts as requested by the Regional Sales Manager.
- Sound computer skills and the ability to utilize Salesforce.com as a CRM.
- Develop and execute Key Account Planning and Development. Identify opportunities for assigned products and resolve any hurdles that may surface.
- Provide marketing feedback from account and dealer visits to include general economic, product, and competitive information.
- Conduct product seminars at customer locations.
- Assist Channel Sales Representatives on assigned product lines in the territory by training, solving problems, joint calls, product shows, etc.
- Develop positive Account and Channel relationships by being responsive and proactive.
- Monitor and manipulate sales data to improve sales efficiency.
- Achieve annual sales target and execute marketing plans as they are announced.
- Participate in RFP and new business opportunities by providing information such as: competitive environment, pricing recommendations, product mix and volume, cross referencing in order to win new business and implement negotiated contracts. Also follow up with channels and end users to ensure estimated volumes are achieved.
- Attends tradeshows and represents company as requested by the Regional Sales Manager.
- BS degree in life science, business, or other related field
- 2-5 years of experience in industry, academia, or related field with progressively increasing responsibilities
- Experience selling through multiple channels including direct sales and marketing is desired
- Demonstrated excellence in oral, written, and presentation communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently, with initiative and good business judgment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to effectively learn and utilize on-line CRM application
- Demonstrated success in forming interdepartmental relationships
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to draw conclusions and observations from market trends and unit analysis
- Substantiated capability to effectively negotiate and close business
- Demonstrates the Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement (The Four I’s)