When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, and you’ll be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you’ll find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Field Application Scientist - Boston provides scientific expertise and applications support and training to customers on Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Applied Biosystems brand real-time PCR instruments through a variety of interfaces including in-person, phone and email communications. Partners with sales reps in the field to deliver product line specific pre- and post-sales related customer support activities and solve customer escalations effectively. The ideal candidate will act as a trusted expert to our customers, thereby increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty and contributing to the overall success of the business.
- Prepares and presents seminars to wide array of audiences
- Performs product demonstrations at customer or company sites
- Helps support technical training for Sales Representatives as appropriate.
- Collaborates with Sales Representatives to develop technical selling strategies.
- Participates in the field test site determination process.
- Represents Thermo Fisher Scientific at trade shows and vendor shows to present Thermo Fisher Scientific products and gather information.
- Accompanies Sales Representatives on sales calls in customers' laboratories to provide technical and applications assistance in response to customer inquiries.
- Supports conditional sales placements in the field through on-site visits and telephone communication.
- Generate and record opportunities related to the Thermo Fisher Scientific workflow including Service contracts.
- Provides troubleshooting support to customers in the field or by phone/email.
- Resolves and/or escalates customer issues & complaints.
- Provides start-up applications training to customers in their laboratories or as an instructor at Thermo Fisher Scientific training centers.
- Demonstrates basic operating and troubleshooting procedures for Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Applied Biosystems brand real-time PCR instrument workflow.
- Coordinates cross-functional engagements for significant situations that require unique and/or urgent response from customer facing team members.
- Plans and delivers user meetings in-house or in the field.
- Provides and continuously updates customer contact relevant information. Track, record and document relevant information from all technical inquiries from customers
- Acquire and maintain theoretical and practical knowledge of real-time PCR and digital PCR applications/workflows.
- Reports on activities in the field on a regular basis to Manager and Sales partners through written reports and regular telephone conversations.
- Reports on technical trends going on in the territory by relating customer concerns and issues to the appropriate internal partners.
- Stays current on scientific and industry trends and innovations.
- Participates in interdepartmental projects
- Accountable for managing expenses, scheduling and tracking activities.
- Participates actively in supporting Sales and Service meetings as required
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
- Requires a BA or BS in Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related scientific field.
- Minimum of 3+ years of laboratory or related work experience.
- Hands-on experience of real-time PCR on market-leading platforms is essential
- Experience in presenting technical materials in written and verbal form is critical
- Is able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Capable of working independently. Is self-motivated and proactive
- Extensive experience using personal computers and all Microsoft Office applications.
- Demonstrates clear and concise communications and is capable of interacting with a diverse population of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to partner effectively as part of a team to solve problems, negotiate solutions and arrive at a consensus.
- Is customer-centric and keenly aware of markets, trends, and competitors
- Is tenacious, decisive, nimble and quick, able to adapt from one situation to another quickly
- Anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency, contagious optimism and a “can-do” attitude
- Is curious, inquisitive, innovative, never satisfied with the status quo
- MS or Ph.D. in Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry or related scientific field
- 1+ year of working with Life Technologies/Applied Biosystems real-time PCR instruments preferred.
- Experience in a clinical, diagnostics and/or regulated market
- Experience in a customer-facing role and/or providing technical and scientific presentations to a variety of audiences is strongly preferred.
- Is strategic, astute and forward-thinking
- Is authentic, transparent and leads by example, holding self and others accountable
- Typically works remotely from home office.
- Travel may range from 50% to 75%.
- Responsible to effectively manage schedule and negotiate scheduling conflicts
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
- Most duties are performed at field locations which may require walking within customer facilities, standing while giving presentations or conducting meetings and sitting to complete reports and sales calls.
- Demonstrations may require moving equipment and manual dexterity and ability to lift up to 50 pounds
NOTE: This position is not eligible for relocation benefits.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applications will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, including the use of this website, please contact us at:
EMAIL: HR1@thermofisher.com OR PHONE: 1-855-471-2255 (Only phone calls pertaining to disability assistance will be returned). One of our staff members will work with you to provide alternate means to submit your application.
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA); Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO); and Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA).