IT Intern Business Intelligence Job Description:
The mission of the BI function is to provide Accessible, Accurate, Relevant, Reliable, Timely and trusted information to the region. This IT intern role provides the chosen student with a unique learning opportunity as part of the IT Team which also consists of Business Analysts, functional business experts and technical architects/developers. The intern will work together with the BA’s to act as an enabler between the business community who have challenges and the technology which offers a solution. A key part of the role is to facilitate the capturing of functional business requirements by gathering, analyzing and documenting the requirements in a way that can be understood by a diverse audience (technical and non-technical alike). The Intern will then serve as a liaison between the business users and the architects/developers in order to implement effective solutions. Not all solutions are systems development focused and may also consist of process improvement or organizational change.
The role will include focus on projects to move the business forward in a competitive environment and support of the existing technology critical to the smooth running of the day to day business. The IT Intern will align him/her self with the needs of the business and then offer support before, during and after project/support execution.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Support the business in the Business Intelligence area
- Manage day to day IT issues through the designated ticketing process keeping the relevant business partners informed at all stages
- Expected to be deeply involved in the design of the future generation of internal reports to all areas of the business.
- Understand IT organization setup, functions and processes, departments and teams
- Efficient in analytical reasoning, thinking and data analytics related to sales or equivalent arenas
- Knowledge requirement gathering / analysis, planning, documenting, transforming the business requirements into technical & function specifications.
- Engage with Enterprise Analytics IT organization and its teams as a solution provider in the data warehousing, data analytics and business intelligence areas
- Develop and execute functional test plans and facilitate user acceptance process
- Stay current on technology trends and software solution offerings from vendors.
- Work on small enhancements independently to create Functional specifications
- Work as a Project Manager on smaller projects and follow the defined methodology to ensure the project is compliant with PMO processes.
- Creating dashboards / reports using Cognos, PowerBI, Roambi and Tableau
- Applicants should be Business, Business Technology, IT Management, Enterprise Technology (or similar) majors with good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Some SQL Data mining and or R programming or similar desirable but not essential
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong verbal, presentation and written communication skills
- Ability to work in teams and collaborate with others
- Self-motivated, high energy and strong time management skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take lead and drive for results
- Must be able to work with and effectively communicate (listen, speak, present and write) to all levels of the organisation and build working relationship with others outside of the IT Team.