Job Title: Senior Program Manager
Reports To: Director Quality & Operational Excellence
Career Band: 8
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: UK - Altrincham, Spain - Madrid, US - Sunnyvale, CA, US - Philadelphia, PA, Germany - Germering
- Responsible for the project portfolio encompassing the entire business unit, including new product development and sustaining projects. (CSO out of scope until global QMS)
- Lead multiple cross functional project teams simultaneously with members from various functions across the world
- Develop task level project plans and empower the team to succeed by showing clear ownership and driving accountability of tasks
- Assures that projects are organized and executed in accordance with the SDLC and NPDI processes
- Assures that projects are managed utilizing the Project Management Competencies of Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, Risk, Resource planning, Communications, and procurement in order to successfully complete project deliverables as planned.
- Monitors progress of all programs and projects in the portfolio, and leverages that visibility to drive effective change management and resource management that will support timely resolution of cross-functional issues.
- Maintains communication with leadership team, ensuring awareness of potential roadblocks, risks or challenges and proposing solutions
- Identifies resource constraints between projects and works with business leadership to propose and implement project changes based on priorities and critical path
- Identifies best practices within the company, and outside of Thermo Fisher, and serves as a conduit for best-practice sharing across the business unit
- Responsible for gate review content and timing as per the project management process and post-launch project reviews to ensure lessons learned are integrated into current and future projects
- Maintain and communicate project performance metrics, setting and maintaining high expectations.
- Implement a portfolio-wide planning mechanism to drive improved resource utilization
- Works closely with R&D and Business Unit teams on developing and improving processes
- Advances project management culture and maturity throughout the global organization
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- B.S. or M.S. in a scientific or technical discipline. MBA preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of experience managing large, complex projects
- Experience leading, influencing and managing large global cross functional teams
- Experience working in or building a successful project management discipline in a manufacturing environment
- PMP Certification a plus
- Green belt certification in Lean Six Sigma desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience working within a formal Project Management Organization (PMO) across the lifecycle of multiple projects
- Working knowledge of core project management skills such as facilitation, planning, financial analysis, change management, stakeholder alignment, risk management, communication planning and results delivery
- Proven experience managing significant change management and strategic initiatives across large multinational organizations, preferably in a corporate setting and in an organization with a global workforce where projects are executed with shared resources.
- Experience in developing and delivering presentations to senior management outlining program benefits, status, issues and recommendations
- Self-motivated, with minimal direction and ability to manage multiple projects of high complexity and with shared resources
- Experience working with R&D and Operations projects, preferably across multiple disciplines
- Demonstrated cross-cultural and cross-functional experience, i.e. experience in working with team members in different functions and cultures and in different time zones
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Global travel estimated at less than 20%
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific corporate values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.