When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Position Summary: The PRODUCT OPTIMIZATION ENGINEER III will support the design and manufacturing of laboratory equipment with specific responsibilities on existing electrical & mechanical components, electrical & mechanical subsystems and product testing and develop a project manager process as well as be accountable to lead own project(s). Additionally, support the Value Stream Managers in troubleshooting and resolving product engineering, costing, quality, and packaging issues.
This role interacts with all areas and levels of the company to bring a positive result in product development, production launches, optimizing existing products, using a multi-disciplinary approach to problem-solving, and works to motivate team members toward the common goal.
- Lead project to evaluate product quality, cost, and throughput from Product Design Engineering and configure it for the production process
- Develop project management process. Work alongside other POE team members and with other cross-functional groups to develop electrical and mechanical systems and identify/implement projects for design optimization of the company’s laboratory products, including freezers, biological safety cabinets, shakers, incubators, and water systems
- Actively participate in product development cycle to optimize product productivity
- Review and approve Engineering Change Requests (ECR’s). Create 3D CAD models and 2D drawings for designs of new and existing products
- Work with internal project team which consists of quality, regulatory, R&D, operations, supplier/sourcing, manufacturing, marketing, and sales. Lead the project and make sure all functions agree with the direction of the Engineering change request. Gain concurrence and make sure deliverables are progressing and being met
- Lead Continuous Improvement initiatives and support all PPI, Keys and Lean project
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time. Sit for extended periods of time and utilize CRT to perform job functions.
- Ability to handle internal and external customer complaints in an effective and efficient manner.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Work under stressful conditions, closely and effectively with people of all levels of the organization to produce necessary results.
- 10%+ travel may be required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing or Materials Science,
- 5+ years of experience in a technical manufacturing environment in positions of increasing responsibility.
- Project management experience
- Experienced transitioning new products into production.
- Experience with regulated environment –including UL, CSA and FDA (ISO 9000)
- Demonstrated understanding of Engineering Change Notices and Bills of Materials
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be able to demonstrate same across department boundaries and with all levels of management.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- 3 years of an advanced technical degree.
- Refrigeration manufacturing processes/technology and mechanical/equipment areas, and are skilled in statistical process control methods (DOE / capability analysis / tolerances)
- Certification as a PMP or Green Belt
- Technical experience with refrigeration systems & High Performance Laboratory refrigerators / freezers.
- Exposure to Design for Manufacture and Design for Assembly (Desired)
This position has been approved for relocation assistance. This position can be located in either: Marietta, Ohio or Asheville, NC