Job Title: Sales Manager (for defined country or multiple countries)
Reports To: Direct Sales Director Europe
Location: Field based with regular attendance to the local office
Number of direct reports: 6-10
When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Working within Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Speciality Diagnostic Group, within the Microbiology Division (MBD), our customers worldwide trust our microbiology solutions for the diagnosis of infectious disease and detection of bacterial contamination in industrial applications. We serve public health, clinical laboratories, food companies, environmental screening and pharmaceutical laboratories with a portfolio of products that include culture media, antimicrobial susceptibility testing solutions and market-leading molecular solutions for food safety testing
Achieve or exceed sales and profit targets for your sales region through effective leadership of the regional field based sales team. The sales team is responsible for the sales of Thermo Fisher Scientific, Microbiology products and services to an established territory of accounts by utilizing the Face to Face meetings telephone, e-mail, Internet, and other technology.
- Develop and execute a strategic and tactical sales plan for specified region to ensure revenue objectives are met by using company defined financial models.
- Develop strategy to incorporate and compliment the Microbiology Division objectives into the overall region / country strategy
- Comply with deadlines on required elements of personal administration including, but not limited to maintenance of a sales force automation (SAP CRM) solution and expenses
- Work to drive product sales to support supplier partnerships and actively promote core products and value added services
- Work with the Food Safety team in your country to grow the Molecular business above the AOP assigned to your business
- The management and development of the abilities and successes of your sales team is fundamental to the post. You will provide role model leadership and management activity including coaching, goal setting and effective delegation to stretch and develop team competencies. Through regular observation, appraisal and monitoring of call metrics you will encourage and identify excellent performance also swiftly and appropriately intervene where performance or compliance is below expectation
- Help Account Managers identify and satisfy customer requirements and meet the needs of valued business opportunities
- >60% field based with regular coaching days to develop the teams skill set and results
- Ensure Account Managers comply with company procedures and policies
- Continually measure personal and team success against the country’s sales plan making the necessary challenges, interventions and decisions to successfully deliver, or exceed plan expectations
- Provide weekly verbal and written updates and monthly reports to the Direct Sales Director
- Develop and maintain a rounded understanding of the sales positioning of Microbiology Division and its products within the various markets in which we operate. Using this knowledge, effectively leverage the strengths and breadth of the organization by building and maintaining an effective network of connections within the Thermo Fisher Scientific organization
- Review, maintain and manage compliance to key performance indicators. To include, but not limited to, sales performance, call planning, call rate and opportunity management and follow up
- Maintain a high level of business knowledge relevant to the region managed including competitor activity and market trends.
- Leadership of the implementation of price increases and annual contracts with customers
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of business acumen and a clear understanding of the sales management role involving individual coaching and team development.
- Laboratory experience across a wide range of sectors including pharmaceutical, industrial and academic segments would be an advantage, particularly where there is a sound understanding of the current marketplace
- The ability to travel to regional and national meetings approximately 60%
- Excellent organizational/team work skills with collaboration with peers and other departments
- Exceptional time management skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Strategic selling, negotiating, and project management skills.
- Proficient with Word, Excel and PowerPoint a must, sales force automation software a plus
- This role operates within a complex matrix environment requiring the post holder to work effectively with multiple stakeholders, to manage both competing requirements and concurrent project activity. Strong project, time and stakeholder management competency is therefore essential to maintain several priorities and meet established deadlines
- Strong work-ethic, the ideal candidate will have a commitment to continuous learning, show career progression and development, and seek opportunities to stretch capabilities.
- Demonstrated 4-I values (integrity, intensity, innovation and involvement)
- Effectively perform your duties while acting at all times in accordance with the Dignity at Work Policy, Code of Business Conduct and Ethics and our values of Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Embrace and participate in PPI initiatives to identify improvements and cost savings to the business
- You are required to be smartly presented at all times and have a professional approach when dealing with customers and key stakeholders
- Highly developed Selling skills and Sales Management experience
- Basic Financial and Business administration skills
- Microbiology experience preferred
- A degree level education is essential, with preference given where degree subject has a strong relevance to our business
- English: Full professional proficiency in addition to a local language
- Significant experience in leadership of a field based sales team with evidence of top and bottom line growth, while managing high and low performing individuals
- Full clean driving license