When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
This position is focused on service delivery excellence for UnityTM Lab Services. Specific activities relative to the job function could include: inventory management, order management, chemical management, glassware washing, material handling, and media preparation. This position will utilize the functionality of systems and applications relevant to the job function, such as: RIMS, chemical management software, procurement applications, and the Microsoft Office suite of programs. Customer interface communication skills are required. It is also expected that this position will have a basic understanding of the performance metrics applicable to site specific activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect, analyze, and dispose of all Hazardous Waste
- Collect, analyze, and prepare for shipment of all Hazardous Waste
- Collect, analyze, determine proper requirements for disposal and dispose of all other waste.
- Maintain waste logs in accordance with required federal, state, county, and local regulations.
- Inspections of all waste areas weekly.
- pH alarm monitoring, calibration, maintenance, and corrective actions.
- Maintain analysis equipment.
- Order supplies used in Hazardous Waste collection, analysis, treatment, and disposition.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment for all waste collection, treatment, and disposal sites.
- Maintain the portable Hazardous Spill Kit.
- Become and maintain certification in Hazwoper.
- Become and maintain certification as a hazardous materials/waste handler .
- Complete hazardous waste reports and send to manager.
- Become certified and maintain certification in IATA and DOT Hazardous Waste transportation for the purpose of signing Waste Manifests.
- Maintain Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The Hazardous Waste Technician moves throughout the labs and manufacturing areas of six buildings and in doing so comes in contact with all forms of hazardous materials and mechanical devices.
- They spend much of their time outside moving between buildings, and working in the outside areas for treatment and disposal of Hazardous Waste.
- The waste and movement of organic materials sometimes creates fumes and toxic conditions; therefore, requiring the use of PPE including respirators. On rare occasions they may be required to coordinate the disposal of explosive materials .
Specific Scope Data
- Describe SMART criteria such as revenue targets, departmental budgets, and supervisory span if known.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified as a hazardous waste handler preferred.
- Certification on Hazwoper Hazardous Waste Cleanup (40 hour) preferred.
- Certification in IATA and DOT Hazardous Waste transportation preferred.
- Pass a pre-employment physical
- Must be able to read, speak and write English.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Push and pull a heavy cart loaded with hazardous materials five to six hours a day
- Lift bottles of waste onto the cart and off of the cart that weigh over 50 lbs when full
- Move, by hand, bulk chemicals in 100 lb containers
- Stoop, kneel, and crouch, while collecting waste
- Have a firm grasp so that toxic chemicals do not slip from the hands
- Communicate effectively with chemists and chemical technicians
- Hear leaks, see spills, smell chemicals
- Wear respirators
- Read small print on containers and Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Instantly understand signs whose main safety aspect is color
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com