When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Market Development Manager is responsible for building and developing market segment opportunities for the Molecular Spectroscopy Business. This position will have responsibility for the attainment of BU, Division, and Corporate goals for sales growth and profitability through various selling, promotional and market development activities, including positioning broader Thermo Fisher Scientific solutions to select market segments (leveraging the breadth of our entire portfolio to strengthen market position and customer relevance). Primary responsibilities include creation and implementation of cohesive and coherent market development programs focused on driving growth in the Forensics, Pharmaceuticals, Food Safety, Chemicals, and other routine and applied market segments; effective development and coordination of sales, marketing, applications and R&D activities; engaging key influencers to gain Voice of Customer; completion of market segment analysis; and the development of commercial strategies supporting the BU product lines.
- Provide market segment, customer and geographic analysis to identify new applications, new customers and areas of growth within the business
- Develop and direct market segment programs leveraging the breadth of product solutions within the molecular spectroscopy BU (and across Thermo Fisher as appropriate)
- Drive growth by providing input on opportunities, product positioning and value proposition for new and existing products/portfolios
- Integrate global/regional marketing dynamics into business strategy using analysis of markets, customer segmentation, VOC and competitive environment analysis
- Gather feedback from customers, global and other regional counterparts, and field sales and service to identify new market trends and opportunities. Use this information to provide input to the broader business/market development strategy to drive a sustainable competitive advantage
- Work collaboratively with Product Management, Sales and R&D on current and new products and solutions for customers
- Develop strong understanding of market trends, funding and investment patterns and build relationship strategies with funding and regulatory bodies
- Based on building thorough market segment analysis and understanding, develop programs and drive commercial team to win in the market
- Develop value proposition across full products and technologies
- Regular travel both domestically and internationally to customer facilities, regional offices, and conventions/tradeshows.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or a scientific/technical field is required, along with 5+ years of progressively more responsible experience in marketing, business development, sales and/or R&D
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional and personal relationships with key business partners and customers positively impacting business growth
- Strong problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to leverage a broad portfolio of analytical technologies in designing and scaling vertical marketing campaigns and programs
- Working knowledge of key vertical market segments including but not limited to forensics, food safety, pharmaceutics, environmental, and chemicals/polymers
- High energy level with the ability to take initiative
- Proven reasoning abilities and sound judgment; ability to see beyond short term
- Strong team building skills and the proven ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Ability to develop high levels of credibility and forge solid and positive professional relationships with subordinates, peers, and upper management
- Excellent communication, team-building, and leadership skills
- Solid presentation and analytical skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- Experience and demonstrated aptitude both managing and prioritizing multiple projects
- Financial understanding sufficient to evaluate cost accounting and return implications for potential projects.
- Willingness to travel up to 30%, both domestic and internationally, as required
- Solution Selling (or comparable) experience desirable
This position does not have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.