Title: Staff Scientist
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
The Staff Scientist is a technical leader responsible for development and sustaining of Sample pretreatment products based on solvent extraction and Solid phase extraction (SPE) technologies. Conducts research, analysis, and experimentation on sample pretreatment technologies for solid, semi-solid and liquid samples, explores stationary phases, hardware, assembles functional analytical devices including consumables for such purposes as product and process development and application, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and improvement of analytical methodologies.
Responsibilities: Job responsibilities include approximately 80% lab work. Lab work is heavily weighted towards development of sample pretreatment products and related consumable products for solid, semi-solid and liquid samples and characterizing the performance of the developed sample pretreatment products using analytical separation techniques such as GC, GC-MS, HPLC, HPLC-MS and the like. The Staff Scientist in R&D is expected to work independently on all assigned projects, designing and implementing experiments on a daily basis to steer the project towards completion.
Job duties and responsibilities include the following
- Conduct leading-edge research and development in the field of sample pretreatment and related chromatography instrumentation, which include the areas of SPE, Solvent extraction, MS, chromatography and method development.
- Investigate and explore new ideas and concepts by defining experiments, building, debugging, and characterizing prototype hardware/software in order to verify proof of principle.
- Work with engineers and chemists to design prototypes and new products.
- Collaborate closely with project team members and other cross-functional groups in the organization including marketing, applications, and business development.
- Submit and present project updates and reports in verbal and written formats.
- Write invention disclosures and possible patent applications.
- Manage and prioritize daily assignments to ensure timely completion.
- Attend and participate in scheduled planning meetings and/or status meetings.
- Manage and maintain required reagents, laboratory environment, and equipment needed to carry out assignments.
- Adhere to safety and regulatory requirements
- Transfer new products from R&D to Manufacturing.
- Responsible for sustaining products.
- Writing SOP and work instruction according to ISO 9001 requirements.
- Other opportunities may include possible contributions to scientific literature and presentations at conferences.
- Conduct exploratory research for new sample pretreatment hardware or consumables with improved performance.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Typically requires a Master’s degree or equivalent in chemistry or related field.
- In depth knowledge of sample pretreatment technologies such as solvent extraction and SPE and chromatography (GC, HPLC and MS) is required
- Knowledge of chromatographic instrumentation, valves, SPE materials, stationary phase materials and QuECHERS, is a plus.
- Well versed in the use of analytical equipment and analytical chemistry principles
- High level of technology fluency to understand and properly communicate the technology associated with assigned products.
- Strong understanding of instrumentation principles and troubleshooting ability.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities
- Ability to make independent decisions and possess strong initiative
- Ability to dissect problems with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to accurately plan, define, and manage projects tasks
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- 5 years of R&D laboratory experience
- Ph.D. or Post-Doctoral Scientist
- Experience in analytical chemistry with a focus on sample pretreatment and chromatography.
- Strong understanding of Analytical chemistry principles.
- Record of accomplishment should be demonstrated by publications or patents.