Senior Specialist, PPI Business System, Learning and Development.“What I do at Thermo Fisher Scientific extends outward—to my coworkers, to the scientific community and to people around the world who benefit from our innovative thinking and advanced technology.”
-Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Practical Process Improvement (PPI) Business System Senior Specialist – within the Learning and Development team. This position supports an integral part of a corporate business system team whose mission is to aid in the deployment and support of ThermoFisher Scientific’s PPI Business System. Working alongside an international team of lean leaders, you will be working with corporate, division and site facilities to train and coach leadership and their respective teams. The focus will be on developing continuous improvement strategies, tools and concepts to be deployed by the PPI Business System teams, as a means to creating a differential experience for our customers in making the world healthier, cleaner and safe. This Senior Specialist role within the Learning and Development team will also serve as an opportunity to immerse yourself in various ThermoFisher businesses with the benefit of potential alignment for future leadership opportunities.
This role requires 50% travel globally, and could include overseas travel; when not traveling, can be field based or housed at a Thermo Fisher Scientific facility in the United Kingdom or United States.
- Identify key opportunities for development within the PPI Business Systems Learning and Development framework, and develop and create new materials for the PPI Business System teams to implement lean tools and methods. Developing and redeveloping methodologies such as would emulate TPS; Strategy Deployment, Lean Leadership, Value Stream Mapping, Cell Design, Material Flow, 5S, Visual Management + 8-Step Methodology, to enable teams to apply lean improvement processes to Commercial, R&D, Supply Chain, and many other functions of a business.
- Conduct leadership and employee team training and provide ‘Sensei-type’ coaching to facility leadership and representatives to develop their lean expertise over time.
- Work closely with business leadership and PPI steering committees to identify ways to accelerate the culture change necessary to support PPI Business System Learning and Development needs.
- Provide the materials required for organizational leaders to create an action-biased culture of continuous improvement and accountability to improve their KPI’s, including growth, productivity, asset utilization, inventory, and customer allegiance.
- Work with the corporate PPI leadership team to create and communicate ongoing PPI Business System strategy, aligned with the Thermo Fisher’s Mission and Vision.
- Identify best practices within the company, and outside of Thermo Fisher, and serve as a conduit for best-practice sharing.
- A lean leader with extensive experience driving a lean business system across a multi-functional, multi-site, global matrixed organization with outstanding business results
- 5+ years, hands-on track record of training, coaching and implementing successful TPS-based Lean business system with value-stream mapping and follow-up kaizen events, focusing on cell design, material flow, 5S, visual factory, lean in the office, lean sourcing, etc, and experience as a lean sensei coaching facility leadership and employee teams
- Superior leadership skills with proven ability to effectively coach and develop diverse teams of people, and facilitate effective cross-cultural business interaction
- Detail oriented with the ability to see bigger picture and envision step-change scenarios
- Electro-mechanical comprehension sufficient to understand the operation of production equipment and facility systems and to engage in problem-solving discussions on products produced
- Financial literacy sufficient to understand Financial Statements and Budgets
- Great communicator at all levels of the organization, including accomplished written, oral and presentational skills; multi-lingual preferred
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher learning program required, with majors in engineering, science, operations or business. MS or MBA preferred
- Travel 50%, domestically and internationally
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 60,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story
to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the
world healthier, cleaner and safer.
This position is not budgeted for relocation assistance.