Senior Manager, Global Datacenters
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Senior Manager of IT for Global Datacenters has direct management of the main Thermo Fisher Scientific datacenters in the US and Europe, as well as responsibility to set policy and provide oversight for the maintenance and upkeep for our data processing rooms at all key sites globally. This position is key leader in our Disaster Recovery program, with responsibility to define our IT DR Strategy and provides scheduling, management and oversight of the testing and capability verification of sites and systems to our stated policies and plans.
- Proactively assess and manage datacenter requirements.
- Oversees the assembly, compilation and management of a library/database of site information specific to the data processing facilities, including site and vendor contacts, physical plant equipment inventory, site capacity and capabilities, contract and maintenance schedules, and relevant drawings and diagrams.
- Sets and enforces standards, policies and operational practices around the operation and maintenance of Thermo Fisher’s global data processing facilities. Working closely with contractors, vendors and dotted-line relationship resources to ensure continued stable operations.
- Serves as the technical leader providing expert guidance for projects involving data processing room closures, site consolidations, or capacity expansions.
- Directly manages the Enterprise Monitoring team. Has responsibility for the monitoring systems and services ensuring visibility into both environmental and system/software status, availability and performance.
- Acts as the relationship manager and responsible point of contact for our Cloud Hosting providers. As the subject matter expert on their capabilities, availability, and our overall utilization, will speak to any questions or concerns from executive leadership during emergency operations.
- Defines the DR strategy for IT, ensuring accurate and adequate emergency implementation plans are created and maintained. Will serve as the Disaster Recovery Co-ordination Leader during scheduled test exercises and in the event of actual emergency process invocation.
- 3 years of experience managing datacenters for mid- to large-sized companies
- Areas of responsibility should include power, cooling, space planning, fire suppression and disaster recovery
- Demonstrated ability to manage outside vendors and contractors for service delivery; able to ensure work is delivered on time, to standard and within budget. Experience working with or managing the relationship with a cloud-hosting provider is a large plus
- Background and experience working in a “matrixed” organization with remote and/or “dotted line” staff in a geographically diverse company
- Experience in managing corporate Disaster Recovery (DR) programs
- Demonstrated ability to document and maintain DR Strategy and Implementation Procedures is a hard requirement
- Background and experience working in an enterprise environment with mature Incident Management, Change Management and Problem Management processes
- Solid communication skills, both written and verbal, are a hard requirement for this high profile position. Must be able to work effectively with a diverse technical and business staff outside of his/her own organization to achieve goals
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally, as required from time to time, to various sites for inspection, coordination and oversight of the facilities during major consolidation or upgrade projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Technology Management, Engineering or other technical field is desired, though direct and applicable professional experience in relevant IT or engineering fields may be considered for substitution
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.