When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
This Staff Software Engineer in the Research and Development/Engineering Department of the Environmental and Process Monitoring (EPM) business unit is responsible for leading, designing, developing and maintaining software for current and new products. This position requires a person skilled in the development of embedded Linux software for analytical instrumentation.
The Staff Software Engineer is responsible for Technology Development (TD) and New Product Development (NPD) by following the New Product Development Process and by providing expertise in analytical instrument design. This person will work closely with TD/NPD teams to set schedules and ensure the software components are delivered on-time. This individual will also be responsible for evaluating and adapting existing technologies for use in new products. The candidate is expected to mentor, lead, and provide direction/supervision to other engineers and technicians.
- Lead the software design, documentation, development and testing for Technology Development and New Product Development teams for specific analytical instrumentation projects.
- Define schedules and drive implementation of software functionality and fixes including leading internal resources and managing deliverables and expectations of contract software resources.
- Work with teams to insure integration of features is kept on schedule and budget.
- Develop software algorithms, data structures and user interfaces and develop simulation tools as required.
- Work with marketing and other customer-facing teams as well as directly with customers to translate requirements, develop specifications, and ensure software functionality and accuracy as well as resolve problems in existing software.
- Work with marketing and the new product development teams to review instruction manuals and sales literature.
- Adhere to company code style, revision control, configuration management, and documentation standards.
- Maintain a safe working environment, following established procedures
- Bachelor or advanced degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics or other related science or engineering field required.
- 5+ years C/C++ programming experience required.
- Experience with Python
- Experience designing, implementing and testing software for analytical instrumentation required, with knowledge of common analytical techniques and algorithms such as absorption spectroscopy preferred.
- Familiarity with embedded Linux application development required.
- Experience in a leadership role managing team members required.
- Experience using Linux serial communication drivers such as Serial (RS232/RS485), I2C and SPI, and USB required.
- Experience with Ethernet communications protocols such as TCP/IP and Modbus to communicate between PC’s/mobile devices and embedded systems required.
- Conversant in microprocessor hardware and able to read schematics and component specifications to design and code hardware drivers required.
- Excellent communication, computer, reporting, and analytical skills required.
- Experience resolving a wide range of issues in creative ways is required.
- Strong work ethic and organizational skills are required.
- Familiarity with source control systems such as SVN and bug tracking databases such as Bugzilla or BugTracker required.
- Familiarity with googletest or similar C++ unit testing framework preferred.
- Familiarity with ARM, ColdFire and MSP430 processors preferred.
- Familiarity with embedded processor assembly language, emulation, and simulation preferred.
- PC software design experience including Microsoft Visual Studio and Windows Installer experience preferred.
- Chemistry knowledge preferred.
- Experience working with, or knowledge of, EPA and/or OSHA regulations preferred.
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.