When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Specialty Glass Supervisor is responsible 2nd shift diagnostics including the 20 Post Road facility (PLP, Etch Washing, Freed, 1-up, Pad printing) and the 6 Post Road facility (CoverGlass/Microarray/SuperCell). This position interfaces with other areas of management within the Company. The Specialty Glass Supervisor is responsible for overseeing product flow through the Value Stream in accordance to ISO 13485 Standards. The Specialty Glass Supervisor acts as the main point of contact on the shift for the Value Stream Manager and is responsible for handling personnel issues and delegating the workflow to meet our internal and external customer demands. The Specialty Glass Supervisor position is focused on the Safety, Quality, Delivery, Inventory and Productivity of the Specialty Value Stream and will oversee personnel issues in consultation with the Value Stream Manager and HR.
- Maintain a safe work environment and a high level of safety awareness among associates
- Maintain excellent housekeeping practices through 5S implementation with appropriate audits
- Lead sustainable continuous improvement initiatives using LEAN tools focused on Safety, Quality, Delivery, Inventory and Productivity
- Provide leadership direction to Team Leaders and team members of Value Stream
- Work closely and build rapport with personnel across a variety of departments and functions within the facility and with external customers
- Listen to, support, engage and encourage associates suggestions and input to help motivate them to achieve excellent results
- Mentor direct reports to improve their leadership skill sets and overall effectiveness, assist and support other team members as required
- Provide the training and guidance necessary to enable associates to improve their own abilities and skill levels
- Document standard work/SOPs and provide continuous feedback to all associates to assure all are adhering to procedures and striving for continuous improvement and alignment with the objectives
- Support PPI projects to improve efficiency, work environment and product and process quality
- Provide guidance, direction and leadership for the areas of supervision to ensure that products are received, packed and shipped with the highest level of quality in a safe and timely manner that will meet or exceed our customer’s expectation
- Work closely with HR to maintain proper staffing levels, scheduling and organizing work assignments within the company policies and procedures
- Maintain associate files in the areas of attendance, productivity, and quality and provide regular reviews and counseling where required
- Embodies a positive mindset and a passion to be the best you can be in everything you do. Thinks ‘outside the box’
- Lead day-to-day activities in the Value Stream to ensure swift and accurate completion of work to meet all customer requirements
- Support required data collection for key operational metrics
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
- Ensure all process steps are followed through to a completed status with accuracy and variance reviews as it pertains to their department and in accordance with all engineering specifications
- Develop, generate, review and present various work/management reports to accurately measure department productivity and make recommendations to improve product workflow for better business results
- Provide monitoring/leadership of Specialty Glass Value Stream
- Maintain positive relations with all associates through the use of proficient and open communication skills
- Efficiently coach, guide and manage associates relation concerns and provide semi/annual PMD reviews to help foster them for optimal business results and personal growth.
- Support and develop your Value Stream to become cross functional to help manage department capacity
- Other miscellaneous activities as assigned
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Manufacturing environment subject to dust, heat and noise conditions. Standing for extended periods of time for 10 hour shift or more. Lifting up to 50 pounds. Bending twisting motions are not uncommon. Repetitious work.
- High degree of accuracy and decision-making ability
- Flexibility with work hours (for training, attending meetings that occur prior to work shift, and covering all shifts
- Able to stand, bend, stoop, kneel and carry
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with people at all levels in the organization
- Possesses extreme motivation for a continuous improvement mindset and desire to improve all aspects of the Value Stream; Lean experience preferred
- Knowledgeable in data collection, measuring, analysis, improvement and control
- Ability to lead and deliver results in a team based manufacturing environment and make fact based decisions with minimal supervision
- Demonstrate strong business acumen, organizational and analytical skills
- Effective employee management skills including dealing with difficult employee situations and providing constructive feedback. Ability to coach, counsel and encourage subordinates.
- ISO 9000, ISO13485, FDA experience is preferred
- ERP software experience, JD Edwards a plus
- Support and participate in PPI projects to improve efficiency, work environment and product and process quality
- Forklift certified
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Minimum of 2 years of demonstrated leadership skills in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years working in manufacturing environment
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Solid computer skills (Microsoft Office, database and internet based programs); JD Edwards (Oracle) a plus.
- experienced in successfully driving Continuous Improvement
- Read, write and understand English
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.