When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science, is seeking a Senior IDMS and DB2 Database Administrator (DBA) to join our dynamic database services team. The candidate must have a minimum of 7 years’ experience providing support for the CA IDMS and IBM DB2 databases in a high performance, high availability environment. Candidate must be able to demonstrate strong tuning, troubleshooting, and issue resolution skills, be versed in full life-cycle database support, as well as possess good written and verbal communications skills. Experience with IBM z/OS, assembler for z processors, IDMS compilers, COBOL, IDMS SQL, DB2 SQL, CA-Easytrieve, and production database support experience are required. An overall, general knowledge of information technology and an ability to resolve complex problems and proactively provide solutions is expected. Experience supporting databases for large applications is a plus.
- Work with applications teams to understand and satisfy complex database requirements
- CA IDMS and IBM DB2 database installation, configuration, and management in an IBM z/OS environment
- Implement, configure, and support IDMS and DB2 databases including patching and upgrades using CA-Chorus and IBM SMP/e
- Provide database performance tuning, and assist with application tuning tasks
- Ensure database compliance with various audit standards, and adherence to strict change control policies
- Perform database backup, recovery, and refreshes
- Automation of routine database tasks
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex issues in a dynamic environment
- Minimum 7 years CA IDMS and IBM DB2 database administration experience in an IBM z/OS environment
- Experience with IDMS schema and subschema compilers, and on-line and batch dictionary editors (OCF/IDD/IDMSBCF/IDMSDDDL).
- Experience with IDMS utilities for REORG, TUNE INDEX, PRINT SPACE, and PRINT INDEX
- Experience with DB2 utilities for LOAD, COPY, REORG, and RESTORE
- Experience with IDMS Central Version configuration and tuning
- CA Chorus use
- DML command format and options
- Assembler for z processors
- IDMS system exits and Database Procedures
- Strong working knowledge for z/OS as it applies to IDMS
- IDMS ADS/Online complier and ADS/Trace operation
- COBOL, with emphasis on IDMS DML navigation usage
- IDMS SQL Usage
- Understanding of SMS
- Strong troubleshooting and issue resolution skills
- Experience with database backup, recovery, and refreshes required
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required
- Knowledge of the following preferred:
- MVS Utilities and SuperSession
- TSO/REXX and TSO/CLIST
- CA SysView
BS Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent experience.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.