Senior Bioinformatics Engineer, Microarray
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our five premier brands, Invitrogen, Applied Biosystems, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
The Bioinformatics group seeks a talented and motivated individual to provide analytical and software support for product research and development efforts.
The successful candidate will work with a small team that manages critical informatics support for microarray catalog products. Applicants will also contribute to the development of new custom designs, and interface with several cross-functional groups within the company and with our scientific customers. Duties will include development of robust pipelines to add annotations to microarray products, as well as the development of novel data analysis approaches in support of product development.
This position requires familiarity with standard genomics tools, such as high-throughput genomic mapping/alignment, annotation databases, as well as the ability to handle very large bioinformatics datasets and develop automated workflows. The candidate will also have an opportunity to develop web applications.
Strong knowledge of bioinformatics databases and tools, and software engineering skills are required. Experience with Python and/or Perl, Java, and SQL also required. Desire to learn web production skills and tools a plus.
- BS or MS degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or related field
- Solid experience with Python and/or Perl, in a Unix environment
- Solid experience with Java a plus
- Experience with SVN or other code versioning systems
- Solid experience with relational databases, and proficiency with SQL
- Experience with biological annotation databases, and manipulating data in an efficient manner
- Excellent communication skills along with the ability to work as part of a team
- Strong initiative and demonstrated ability to take ownership of assigned tasks
The following qualifications are optional but would be a plus:
- Education: Master's or equivalent in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or related field
- Years of related experience: 5+ years
- Licenses/Certificates: N/A
- Travel Requirements: none
Level of Autonomy and Complexity:
- Experienced professional with full comprehension of established principles, theories, concepts to resolve an extensive range of issues
- Demonstrates good judgment in applying appropriate action resolve issues of diverse scope requiring analysis and evaluation of factors
- Contributes to establishment of organization's objectives; error in judgment or failure to achieve objectives will have crucial impact and will require extensive addition of resources to correct errors and achieve goals
- Receives little instruction and creates own methods for resolution of everyday tasks; receives general directions for new projects; work is assessed for achievement of goals