Thermo Fisher Scientific is currently recruiting for a Field Applications Scientist (FAS) to support customers in the EMEA region (Europe, Middle-East and Africa). As FAS you will provide technical bioinformatics expertise, applications support and training to customers with a focus on our Ion Torrent NGS instruments, related hardware and software products and services. Customer inquiries will be received via phone, email, or during customer visits. You will act as a trusted expert to our customers, thereby increasing customer satisfaction and loyalty resulting in a contribution to the overall success of the business. Thermo Fisher Scientific will provide you with an environment of challenging work, growth and development through your career.
- Provide customer support on technical issues by utilizing all available resources and answering customer technical inquiries in a timely manner.
- Escalate issues or problems when warranted.
- Participate in training, both new product and continuing education to remain at the edge of scientific knowledge.
- Accurately record pertinent information from customer contacts in Customer Relationship Management system.
- Consult with customers on experimental design and data interpretation.
- Perform NGS data analysis.
- Provide content for customer training material.
- Participate in pre-sales meetings such as customer visits, workshops or by giving webinars.
- Support the Field Service Engineer- teams during install and maintenance of NGS instruments.
- Present technical updates and contribute to department meetings.
- Lead company, departmental, and individual projects.
- Proactively contributes to the strategic development of consultancy and training products.
- Often leads process improvement initiatives.
Requires an M.Sc./PhD in bioinformatics or a relevant subject or have gained the relevant experience working in this field.
- You bring along significant professional experience in the field of bioinformatics, preferably in an industrial/commercial environment.
- You possess experience in two or more of the following fields: NGS sequencing analysis, genomics, genetics, gene expression analysis, sequence assembly, molecular biology.
- In depth knowledge of bioinformatics software, resources and algorithms.
- Experience of working in a LINUX/UNIX environment and familiarity with building and querying databases.
- IT knowledge and basic system administration skills are required.
- Working knowledge of scripting in a language such as PERL, Python or Java.
- Ability to quickly learn large amounts of new, complex technical information.
- Ability to effectively communicate in German and English to customers and colleagues, both orally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work independently as part of a field-based team.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Problem-solving ability required
- Capable of mentoring and training peers.
- Ability to represent the department and present to a variety of both internal and external audiences.
This position is home-office based anywhere in Germany or Austria. Travel is required within the region of Europe, Middle-East, Africa (EMEA) as needed.
We look forward to receiving your application, including a cover letter and CV in English. Please apply to Job ID 46631BR on http://jobs.thermofisher.com/.