Job Title: Environmental Health and Safety Manager
To support the implementation and ongoing management of an environmental, health and safety programme for specific Microbiology UK sites, partnering with site management teams to advise on all relevant issues which affect the company, ensuring that the sites are legal compliant and are providing a safe place of work for employees with safe systems of work. In addition the role will have responsibility for the review and maintenance of aspects of the management system across the UK.
- Ensure that EHS measures are embedded on each site and that these measures are driving the appropriate behaviour. Identify site specific circumstances requiring changes to the EHS programme, and enable the successful implementation at a local level.
- Provide site managers with advice and assistance regarding their obligations under new and existing UK environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Partner with site leadership to ensure they are aware of their specific duties towards employees and non-employees with regards to UK environmental, health and safety regulations and have identified and provided appropriate training for all employees, including designated EHS Representatives.
- Assist site managers in ensuring that all significant risks to health and safety are identified and assessed and that appropriate risk control measures are implemented and maintained.
- Ensure that accident and incident investigations are timely, effective, remedial actions are completed and lessons are learned and shared across the business.
- Ensure the findings of accident investigations, safety inspections, audits and risk assessments are brought to the attention of management and others who may be affected.
- Partner with site management to ensure regular environmental, H&S committee meetings are held and that meeting minutes are brought to the attention of all employees and actions are implemented.
- Provide coaching and support to EHS Representatives to enable them to fulfil their duties effectively and drive employee engagement on EHS performance and improvement.
- Conduct periodic environmental, health and safety audits of the business against Corporate Standards and Regulatory guidelines as directed by the UK EHS Manager.
- In conjunction with the UK EHS Manager, review proposals for new building, plant and equipment to identify potential hazards at the design and contract stages.
- In conjunction with the UK EHS Manager, inspect new and existing plant and equipment, as appropriate, to ensure compliance with Health and safety requirements.
- Partner with Human Resources, Occupational Health Specialists, Engineering and Production and other parties as required, ensuring that the business is free from risks to the environment, health and safety
- Where appropriate, liaise on behalf of specific Microbiology UK sites with external authorities (Health and Safety Executive, Environment Agency, Water Authorities, etc.).
- Work with Thermo Fisher EHS colleagues to identify and share best practice and to harmonise policies and procedures.
- Develop, recommend and implement specific elements of the EHS management system as directed by the UK EHS Manager, e.g. training systems, EHS induction, risk assessments.
- NEBOSH General Certificate of Occupational Safety & Health essential
- Undergraduate degree in an environmental subject or a Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management with suitable experience
- Broad knowledge of Safety, Health and Environmental legislation
- Experience of managing Environmental, Health and Safety in a manufacturing and laboratory environment - implementing best practices, policies, procedures and process across different sites, ensuring consistency in application where appropriate.
- Able to deliver training to all levels across the organization and to communicate, influence and work at all levels across the organization.
- Travel within the UK to different sites essential (up to 20%)
- Knowledge of the REACH Regulations is desirable
- Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor qualification is desirable