When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
This Senior Staff Scientist role will plan and lead laboratory experiments and run tests associated with the development of cell culture media formulations and processes. Will also be very independent and will collaborate with experts in the field.
• Independently designs experimental plans, leads study execution, analyzes experimental data, generates laboratory protocols, and writes technical reports, quantitative analyses, and product summaries
• Works on complex and challenging problems of broad scope where analysis of situations or data requires a comprehensive evaluation of numerous factors within aggressive timelines
• Troubleshoots and solves difficult problems in the design/execution of development projects
• Exercises practical judgment within broadly defined practices and policies and exhibits creativity and foresight in selecting approaches and techniques for obtaining solutions
• Investigates, creates, and incorporates new methods and technologies to improve effectiveness of development workflows
• Applies expertise and knowledge of industry trends to identify new opportunities for novel product offerings that address customer pain points in support of long-term business goals
• Maintains accurate documentation to support protection of intellectual property in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards
• Maintains high level of professional expertise and substantial knowledge of principles and theories through familiarity with competing technologies and/or products, review of current scientific literature, and attendance at scientific seminars and meetings
• May present data at scientific conferences (external and internal) and prepares relevant publications
• Interacts closely with other internal departments (i.e., Marketing, Business Development, Quality, Operations and/or Technical Services) and with key thought leaders within the industry in the commercialization of new products
• Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures.
• May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
• Bachelor’s degree with 10 plus years of experience, Master's degree with 7 plus years of experience, or Ph.D. degree with 4 plus years of experience in Chemical or Biochemical engineering, Biochemistry or other related discipline, or equivalent knowledge and experience.
• Expertise in the methods and techniques of eukaryotic (esp mammalian) cell bioprocessing workflows and process development.
• Prior Industrial experience in continuous bioprocess development for human biotherapeutic applications (perfusion/chemostat-based culture methods).
• Previous cell culture experience with cell lines used in protein production applications (e.g. CHO, HEK293, NS0).
• Senior Staff Scientist works in a laboratory environment and is required to lift up to 40 lbs.
• May be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties and able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials.
• Must be able to work flexible hours. There are travel requirements of 5 – 25 %.
• Proven proficiency in data analysis, research design, troubleshooting, and the evaluation of new technologies and procedures for manufacturing reagents, systems, or products
• Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, and accurate manner.
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate, prioritize, and adapt to changing project priorities.
• Previous experience leading small technical teams.
• Experience working in cross-functional team-based environments.
• Familiarity with project management techniques including tracking of project progress, resources and issues.
• Understanding of regulatory requirements needed to advance a biotherapeutic molecule/process through clinical trials into manufacturing.
• Experience with scale-down models of bioreactors, including high-throughput cell culture technologies (e.g. ambr15, Tube Spin).
• Experience in scale-up and transfer of culture processes.
Note: This position is eligible for relocation benefits.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.