Job Title: Staff Accountant
Division/Business Unit: Chemical Analysis Division / Franklin Financial Shared Services
Location: Franklin, MA
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Thermo Fisher Scientifics’ Chemical Analysis Division generates apx. $1.2 billion in annual revenues with 3,500 employees. Financial Shared Services located in Franklin, MA supports multiple businesses that total apx. $425M in related volume and is focused on instrument manufacturing and services with industry demographics of environmental, laboratory, & process applications. The division is headquartered in Tewksbury, MA with multiple operations throughout the world.
An opportunity exists for an ambitious professional to be a team player within the accounting function of the Franklin Financial Shared Services team supporting a $425M group of businesses for the Chemical Analysis Division. The main focus of this role will be to assist the Accounting Manager with preparation and review of financial reporting, including weekly reports, monthly and annual closing preparation, annual operating plan preparation, and Cost Accounting duties for the Ward Hill, MA site that the FFSS team supports. This position offers the right candidate a significant opportunity for career development and growth.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities:
- Perform monthly financial close activities including update and maintenance of the General Ledger, analysis of account variances and reporting of results to management.
- Perform weekly Revenue, Orders, and Backlog reporting to management.
- Coordinate and maintain monthly accruals and standard journal entries.
- Perform monthly analysis of general ledger account variances and reconcile changes.
- Assist in month-end closing activities, including departmental expenses, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, and General Ledger accrued accounts.
- Performs daily revenue and cost transaction posting.
- Assist on key efficiency metrics to enforce multiple site efficiency.
- Assist in the preparation of internal and external reporting packages, taking advantage of opportunities to enhance usefulness and efficiency.
- Prepare for and participate in internal and external audits.
- Perform monthly analysis of inventory related general ledger account variances and reconcile changes.
- Ensure accuracy and reliability of general ledger/trial balance for the inventory grouping of accounts.
- Assist in month-end closing activities, including accuracy of manufacturing overhead expenses, overhead allocations, inventory, and cost-of-goods-sold.
- Involvement in Inventory Reporting, Physical Inventories, the Excess and Obsolete (E&O) Inventory process and cycle counting process.
- Ensure compliance with Thermo Fisher Policies and Procedures.
- Assist with Sarbanes-Oxley documentation and compliance.
- Performs FIM/HFM Entry
- Assist in the development and preparation of the Annual Operating Plan and site forecast development/updates.
- Performs account analysis support to the Accounting Manager & B/U Finance Director.
- Participation and utilization of PPI methodology.
Other Job Requirements:
- Perform special projects and ad-hoc reporting as required.
- Perform other accounting duties as assigned by management.
- BS degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline required.
- Requires 2+ years of related accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of GAAP Accounting Principles.
- Ability to multi-task and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong team-building skills and the proven ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Proficiency in MS Office including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong track record of accurate and timely financial accounting.
- Ability to work independently; self-motivated; high bias for action.
- Experience with MAPICS, SAP, and HFM is a plus.