As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than USD 17 billion in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission - enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of transportation contracts and negotiation of terms and conditions
- Perform Monthly Business Reviews (MBR) and implement transportation best practices.
- Analyze the impact of contract proposals by providing insight into the financial and operational impact of proposed changes versus the current state, as well as calculate current expense and operational baselines for comparison to actual results
- Ability to recognize and capitalize on opportunities for adjustment to mode, service levels, shipment frequency, consolidation, etc.
- Review and monitor transportation cost containment and drive continuous improvement through analysis and operational improvement
- Identify the appropriate mode and service for import and export shipments utilizing the appropriate combination of ocean, air, consolidation, and deconsolidation points to facilitate minimized lead-time and cost.
- Design the appropriate inbound & outbound road/air network utilizing the correct mix of Full Truck Load, Less Than Truck Load, and Parcel carriers.
- Coordinate with cross functional departments (purchasing, planning, commercial, operations, etc…) to develop the most cost effective inbound, outbound, and facility to facility strategy while maintaining customer expectations (e.g., product available when needed).
- Support the development and implement a program for corporate, divisional, and local level carrier management programs facilitated by formal review meetings and creation of performance scorecards.
- Liaise with corporate transportation to leverage best practices and consistency.
- Travel up to 25%
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Business Logistics, Finance, or a related area or equivalent
- 5+ years of transportation / logistics leadership management
- Current and thorough knowledge of all applicable legislations (ADR, IMDG, IATA…). Experience with managing transportation of hazardous materials
- Experience managing a complex, multi-modal transportation network serving both domestic and export markets
- Comfortable with hands on managerial style, but able to effectively delegate
- Superior analytical and computer skills with experience utilizing analytical tools and databases
- A dynamic, high energy leader with a track record as an effective communicator and uses a collaborative approach to problem solving.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Strong working knowledge of carrier operations and costs across all modes including Less than Truckload (LTL), Truckload (TL), inter-modal, Freight Forwarding Air/Ocean, Parcel, etc.
- Must possess the leadership skills to take charge and initiate actions to drive change.
- Must possess the interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all levels of the organization and work effectively with others in the management team, to resolve interdepartmental issues.
- Must have superb organizational skills to plan, organize, and set priorities to facilitate timely execution
- Must have experience and be comfortable in a highly structured/procedural environment.
- Must possess the analytical qualities to make sound decisions decision, through the conceptualization and evaluation of different courses of action to meet or exceed operational goals.
- Must possess strong systems (including database management and reporting) and project management skills. Must be PC literate in Outlook, Excel, Access, and Word.