When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Unity Lab Services (ULS), a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, provides integrated solutions, instrument, and enterprise services to our customers. This Field Service Engineer is responsible for managing all aspects of field service support and customer relationship management. The successful candidate will provide complete services on Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry systems, including installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualifications. Our ideal candidate is customer oriented, an advocate for Thermo Fisher Scientific in customer laboratories, and is eager to drive growth.
- Perform on-site installation, repair, maintenance, qualification and validation of Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry systems
- Must be client-focused, working in conjunction with other ULS teams and Sales
- Must be proficient with the use of customer management software to track service calls, manage parts inventories, and complete job tasks
- Review reports and documentation from customers and inspect malfunctioning product to determine nature and scope of problem
- Analyze review and inspection findings to determine source of problem, and recommends repair, replacement, or other corrective action
- Coordinate problem resolution with engineering, customer service, and other personnel to expedite repairs
- Analyze chemistry reports of technical problems to recommend modifications to eliminate future problems
- Provide a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer
- Develop and conduct training on the safe operations of the equipment and demonstrates skills to trainees, including both team members and customers
- Other duties may be assigned
- High school diploma and Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 3 or more years hands-on experience as a Service Engineer, particularly working with analytical instrumentation, or 3 or more years relevant industry experience as a Mass Spectrometer user
- Effective communication skills and ability to establish good customer rapport are essential
- Ability to prioritize service requests and produce clear and concise documentation
- Ability to work independently within a customer location
- Must be available to travel overnight up to 60% within the territory or other areas as required
- Essential Functions and Physical Requirements
- Ability to safely lift 50 Lbs with assistance on occasion.
- Ability to safely lift and carry 25-30 Lbs continuously throughout the day.
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Sciences or related field
- Hands-on experience with Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry systems
The territory primarily covers Minnesota and Iowa, with local travel required, ideally based in the Rochester or Southern Minneapolis area.
This position has not been approved for relocation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.