When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
We are searching for a Bioprocess Research Engineer that will drive product innovation through adaption of existing technology; along with innovate via conceptualization, research, design, and evaluation. This role will work directly within Thermo Fisher to support research and commercialization of bio-manufacturing techniques used to create cell based drug therapies (e.g. Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy or T Cell Therapy).
- Serve as in-house technical expert in the field of cell therapy, providing technical leadership towards scale-up of cell based therapies.
- Independently design robust experimental plans, conduct and oversee studies, and analyze and report study results and recommendations both verbally and in written formats.
- Perform engineering analysis and modeling (i.e. heat and mass transfer, CFD, surface chemistry, biological networks etc.) of components and systems.
- Supports technology transfer into development
- Lead in process feasibility, characterization, automation, and validation studies as needed.
- Document experimental results/concepts to support patent and intellectual property portfolio
- Compile findings into documents ready for publication in academic or trade journals
- Interact with customer base on new product and process concepts including alpha and beta testing
- Travel as required to perform job functions.
Bachelor's of Science Degree in Engineering - biological, biomedical, bioprocessing, biotechnology, chemical or materials.
Bachelor’s degree, with 8 years of experience, or Advanced degree with 6 years of experience
Following skills desired:
- Knowledge of bioprocessing operations (suspension cell culture, adherent cell culture, harvest & recovery) and cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practices) type environments.
- Experience specifying, designing, and qualifying small and large scale bioprocess unit operations (preference given to candidates with prior experience with cell therapy culture expansion)
- Strong knowledge of cell biology and/or biochemistry, especially with respect to interaction with biopharmaceutical processes and process equipment
- Experience in the medical device or biopharmaceutical industries.
- Software proficiency: MS office programs, SAS/JMP, DoE, matlab/simulink, CAD (Solid works, AutoCAD a plus)
- Proficient in good engineering practices and applied mathematics/statistics.
- Ability to deconstruct technology concepts into core principles and determine feasibility for product development
- Team oriented with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Project management skills, time management discipline, Gantt charting
- Experience directing technicians for maximum resource utilization
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- College engineering degree in applicable technical field.
- Bachelor’s degree, with 8 years of experience, or Advanced degree with 6 years of experience
- Laboratory research or process development experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to learn quickly, work independently and in groups
- Position may include travel up to 15%
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.