About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands – Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
To lead and manage the N. America Operations (Lenexa, US and Ottawa Canada) teams, to ensure that the Safety, Quality, delivery and cost objectives of the business are achieved while ensuring an engaged and motivated team and leveraging the PPI business system. In addition to ensuring the site is compliant per government agencies regulations.
To act in the capacity of site leader for the Lenexa site, taking responsibility for ensuring that site wide communications and initiatives such as Town Halls, site leadership meetings, site engagement activities and the PPI steering committee, are effective and occur regularly.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To lead and manage the Microbiology Lenexa and Ottawa businesses in accordance with corporate guidelines, policies, procedures and culture
- To lead and oversee the fulfilment of the sites’ Safety, Health and Environmental obligations with both Thermo Fisher requirements and wider legal requirements. To actively promote Health & Safety awareness of all employees and contractors or third parties on the sites.
- To lead the Operations functions to achieve the sites goals through PPI and other continuous improvement tools, specific expectations include use of lean leadership processes including visual management systems, tiered stand up meetings, gemba walks and standard work.
- Ensure that all quality standards and regulatory requirements are met.
- Drive a culture and expectation that the tidiness and cleanliness of site is continually improving.
- To support the preparation and delivery of business plans in conjunction with the sales, finance and other functions within MBD and work with stakeholders to, ensure that staffing is appropriate to deliver agreed output.
- Work with appropriate stakeholders to rationalize and harmonize products where appropriate.
- To build, develop and manage a leadership team capable of carrying out needed operational strategies, employee development activities and driving cultural change.
- To execute the strategic business plans. Translate business unit goals into department goal; ensure implementation of plans to achieve or exceed goals. Track progress toward goals and ensure prompt initiation of corrective actions.
- To provide leadership to achieve continuous improvements in safety, cycle times, service, quality and cost performance.
- To maintain focus on customers and ensure their needs are understood and delivered upon.
- To ensure that the site is fully integrated within MBD and Thermo Fisher Scientific, processes, procedures, initiatives and culturally.
- To define appropriate equipment, facilities, headcount and costs for new product manufacture or significant up-grades of current product ranges.
- To support the preparation of Operations budgets and business plans in conjunction with the sales channels and finance, ensuring that staffing, technical and support functions are adequate for the agreed output. Deliver against the Operations business plan once this has been authorized.
- To work successfully within the matrix organizational structure to ensure that the site delivers its objectives.
- To manage Operations Capital Projects and Operating budgets.
- Any other tasks/duties deemed to be within the competence of the post-holder.
- Bachelor’s degree within scientific, technical or manufacturing discipline. Additional business qualification preferred (e.g. MBA).
- Minimum 10 years business experience showing clear progression, the ability to be part of a cross functional leadership team and success in various business situations.
- Minimum 5 years leading operations with a mid-sized (300+ manufacturing/operations employees) manufacturing environment. Knowledge of production of culture media and immunodiagnostic techniques, preferred.
- Experience working in healthcare manufacturing or similar regulated environment with a strong quality culture using quality data to deliver performance enhancements.
- An established track record of achieving strong internal and external customer satisfaction levels supported by a metric driven continuous improvement focus in the areas of quality and on time delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to balance both the tactical and strategic needs within the business.
- Process improvement knowledge and experience of implementing and driving a continuous improvement culture.
- Proven ability to communicate across all levels of the organization, build relationships, be seen as a role model leader by others, and influence in a matrix organization.
- Experience of managing different departments, functions, or large teams and strong experience of developing others.
- Proven leadership experience, ideally in a complex environment and in delivering cultural change.