When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
What You’ll Get to Do:
As a Plastics Engineering Co-op you’ll help to develop new products and their manufacturing processes from initial concept to their launch into production.
You’ll be able to collaborate with product design engineers, process development engineers, packaging engineers, quality engineers and project leaders to develop manufacturing systems for consumable plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a Co-op mentor in a new product development environment that will allow you to learn product development methods and grow your plastics engineering knowledge.
How You’ll Make a Difference:
- Partner with Great Coworkers: Participate on cross functional project teams to develop new products and manufacturing processes. Present development results at technical reviews. Work with your Co-op mentor on specific engineering assignments.
- Concept Design and Development: Contribute to product design through design reviews and design analysis. Participate with Design for Manufacturing (DFM) reviews of new product designs. Review process specifications and development plans with team members and external suppliers such as mold makers, prototyping services and equipment suppliers.
- Equipment Selection: Assist with the selection of primary and secondary plastic processing equipment. Help to develop project capital, product cost requirements and appropriations requests.
- Detailed Process Development: Conduct processing trials to optimize process variables. Use process analytical tools, DOE methods and pFMEA in conjunction with plastic part and mold design best practices.
- Process Verification: Conduct FAT, IQ, OQ and PQ qualifications for molds and/or equipment and molding processes. Coordinate measurement and dimensional studies. Document results with detailed technical reports.
- Currently enrolled in a Mechanical, Chemical or Plastics engineering Bachelors Degree program
- Demonstrated knowledge of mold tooling, plastic part design, plastic materials, design of experiments (DOE), scientific molding practices and processing equipment
- Experience with basic data analysis and statistics to analysis part measurement or machine response data.
- Basic “hands on” Experience with plastics lab equipment and injection molding equipment.
- Understanding of mechanical drawings, solid models and mold flow comprehension. Proficiency in Solid Works is a plus.
- Willing to travel domestically approximately 10%
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Creative, innovative and critical thinking
- Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
- Responsive, results oriented and task driven
- Self-directed, well-organized with ability to manage multiple assignments
- Excellent documentation, planning and organizational skills
Who We Are
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. Visit www.thermofisher.com.
What We Do
We serve science and medicine like no other. Our customers help patients and do research with a variety of products such as general lab ware, ionized water, bioproduction, high-end injectables, and ocular medicine with some of the largest drug manufacturers across the globe. For others, we provide a consumer product line of well known Nalgene® water bottles.
About Rochester: Ranked by MSN as the #1 Most Livable Bargain Markets in the US, Rochester is a great place for a new college graduate. With low housing costs and a vibrant downtown full of arts and culture, it’s an ideal place to gain world class career experience while you pay down your students loans and enjoy your post-college years.
Conveniently located within a 400 mile radius of 14 northeastern states, Rochester is the western gateway to the fabulous Finger Lakes Region, the Adirondacks, and other scenic byways. If you’re looking for a thriving career in an affordable city, you will find it at Thermo Fisher Scientific in Rochester.
Other “Best of Lists” for Rochester:
Smart and Innovative:
- The Daily Beast – One of the “Top 10 Smartest Cities in America” (2010)
- Business Insider -13th "Most Innovative City in the U.S." (Feb 2013)
- Fast Company – One of the “Ten Underrated Hotbeds of American Innovation” (Aug 2012)
Living and Culture:
- CNN Money - #2 “10 Least Stressed Out Cities” (Jul 2014)
- MSN - #1 Most Livable Bargain Market in the US” (Jul 2011)
- Rochester Biz - Health care costs are among the lowest in the country, 30% below the national average
- Forbes - #48 Best Places for Business and Careers” (Jul 2014)
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training, and competitive compensation.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.