When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $17 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Scientist III designs experimental plans, leads study execution, analyzes experimental data, generates laboratory protocols, and writes technical reports, quantitative analyses, and product summaries.
• Works on complex problems of diverse scope where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors
• Troubleshoots and solves problems in the design/execution of development projects
• Exercises practical judgment within broadly defined practices and policies and exhibits creativity and foresight in selecting approaches and techniques for obtaining solutions
• Investigates, creates, and develops new methods and technologies to improve effectiveness of development workflows
• Maintains accurate lab notebook to support protection of intellectual property in accordance with relevant Thermo Fisher required standards
• Maintains high level of professional expertise and substantial knowledge of principles and theories through familiarity with competing technologies and/or products, review of current scientific literature, and attendance at scientific seminars and meetings
• Presents data at scientific conferences (external and internal) and prepares other publications when appropriate
• Interacts closely with other internal departments (i.e., Marketing, Business Development, Quality, Operations and/or Technical Services) in the commercialization of new products
• Frequent technical interactions with outside collaborators through seminars and publications and with customers through teleconferences, site visits, and scientific meetings
• Performs duties independently with only general direction given
• Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g., ISO compliance, GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
• Works in a laboratory environment, is required to lift up to 40 lbs, and may be required to stand for long periods of time while performing duties
• Able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials
• Must be able to work flexible hours; travel may be required as much as 5 – 10 %
• May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / EDUCATION:
Minimum Qualifications (must have):
• Bachelor’s degree with 5 plus years of experience, Master's degree with 3 plus years of experience, or Ph.D. degree in Biology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or other related discipline, or equivalent knowledge and experience.
• Expertise in the methods and techniques of small-scale mammalian cell culture
• Expertise with the operation of bench-top stirred tank bioreactors and related process development laboratory equipment as well as the scale-up of bioreactor and mixing systems
• Working knowledge of scientific principles associated with bioprocessing workflows
• Demonstrated competence in data analysis, research design, troubleshooting, and the evaluation of new techniques and procedures for manufacturing reagents, systems, products or technologies
• Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems
• Previous cell culture experience with cell lines used in protein production applications (e.g. CHO, HEK293, NS0).
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have):
• Prior industrial experience, particularly in process development and/or cell culture media formulation development.
• Working knowledge of statistical design of experiments (DOE)
• Understanding of chemical, biochemical and physical interactions of cell culture media and reagent components
• Prior Industrial experience in continuous bioprocess development for human biotherapeutic applications (perfusion/chemostat-based culture methods).
• Previous experience with cell lines used in the production of viral vaccines (e.g. Vero, MRC-5, BHK)
• Experience with high-throughput cell culture technologies (e.g. ambr15)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise, and accurate manner
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to efficiently evaluate and adapt to changing project priorities.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.