Job Title: Senior Software Developer
Department: Software R&D
Location: Laboratory Automation – Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- Reports to: Software R&D Manager
- Supervises: NA
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works within Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Software R&D and Tactical Development group
- Engaged in the development of software products for the life sciences, drug discovery, laboratory automation market
- Object-oriented analysis and design of laboratory automation scheduling software products
- Implementation and testing of laboratory software products
- Contribute to software architecture
- Adherence to project processes
- Ensure all work is in conformance with Thermo Fisher Quality System standards
- Limited Systems Integration and customer service support
Decision Making Authority
Decision making authority in accordance with the Delegation of Authority.
Specific Scope Data
The goal is to deliver a quality software with all specified features and functionalty within or lesser amount of labour hours than established for the partical software project.
Education and Experience Requirements
Minimum education and experience:
- Bachelor’s or higher-level degree graduation from an approved post-secondary institution in Computer Science and/or Physical Sciences and/or Engineering, with strong software design and computer programming experience in a business/industrial environment.
- Microsoft Certified Application Developer, MCAD, credentials are preferred
- 5+ years of relevant experience developing PC applications using C#, .NET
- Meeting of schedules and milestones on development projects.
- Quality levels, in terms of defects found, in delivered software.
- Meeting of specified product requirements in software designs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
Must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Well-versed in contemporary processes and tools used in the software development lifecycle, such as project estimation, task scheduling, requirements analysis, and iterative/agile development cycles
- Realizing product requirements and expressing these in design documents
- Working proficiency of C# with .NET 4 using Visual Studio 2015
- Demonstrate an aptitude for interfacing software with hardware, with an appreciation for the unique challenges involved
- Working experience and a good knowledge of configuration management and software source control, as well as change control, testing and defect tracking
- Working proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Strong commitment to meeting deadlines, and scoping work appropriately to ensure it is delivered on time.
- Ability to communicate; work well both within a team and individually
- Strong teamwork skills
- Desire to learn new skills and techniques
- Able to Travel Internationally (very occasionally)
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
Preferred knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Working proficiency in embedded programming using C or a similar embedded programming language
- Knowledge of requirement and design gathering methods such as Unified Modelling Language, use cases, analysis and design class diagrams, behavioural diagrams
- Working proficiency of Microsoft’s Team Foundation Server
- Working proficiency with software build practices using MSBuild
- Working proficiency in developing unit tests, automated tests, test cases, test plans
- Project organizational skills, estimation and scheduling techniques
Physical/Environmental requirements. (Refer to Physical Requirement Reference Sheet when completing this section.) Identify all requirements that apply to the essential job functions. (List specific activities.)
(1) Physical Activities:
Fingering, Talking, Hearing, Repetitive Motions
(2) Level of Physical Requirements:
(3) Level of Visual Acuity:
Inspection, Close Assembly, Clerical, Professional or Administrative, Computer Screen
(4) Environmental Conditions:
The worker is subject to inside enviornmental conditions:
Interaction with Other Employees (level of contact, purpose and frequency)
Sales: Regional Sales Mgrs. throughout project (minimal) Project Implementation: Project leads for LOR project (minimal) Testing: Software testers for QC testing (frequent) R&D: Software developers for embedded or platform software developments (modest) R&D: Software developers for automation platform software developments (frequent) Service: Mgr. Service & staff for resolution of service ticket items that involve software (modest) Marketing: Product management - driver development priorities (minimal) Order entry: Sales coordination - Receipt of LPI for software development (none) Finance: Mgr. of Finance and Accounting for billing and tracking of labour and material content; LOR ready to bill (minimal – entering of time for project specific tasks) Shipment: Shipper for execution of software shipments (minimal)
- Customer: (minimal)
- Vendors: third party suppliers (minimal)
- TMO businesses: other TMO businesses supplying equipment (modest)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified.