The Sr. Director of Operations is a leadership role within the Environmental and Process Monitoring (EPM) business unit which reports to the VP/GM and the VP of Operations for the division. The incumbent serves as the leader of operations for 3 main sites (Franklin MA; Winsford UK; Pune India) and business oversight of EPM products manufactured in our China Manufacturing Center. This individual is responsible for the overall development and leadership of the EPM operations organization employees engaged in the profitable manufacture of high quality products serving the air quality and process monitoring needs of our customers. This is an end-to-end responsibility - from budgeting and asset management through the safe and efficient operation of factories engaged in electro-mechanical assembly operations on a wide range of product (high mix / mixed volume production). This leader will establish management systems and processes that enhance the production of high quality products for meeting/exceeding customer expectations in a global market place.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Holds the overall responsibility for defining and communicating the vision, mission, and operational objectives for the EPM operations team.
• Develops and implements global manufacturing strategy to meet the changing needs of the business.
• Establishing a Customer First mindset throughout the global operations function and serves as the chief Customer Advocate in resolving prioritization issues.
• Ensure world class EH&S and Radiation Safety program for the business unit.
• Sets expectations for site management of Production, Order Fulfillment, Materials Management, and logistics activities.
• Ensure safe, robust production planning and scheduling, inventory management, efficient and high quality production, On Time Shipment (OTS) and delivery performance.
• Creates culture committed to quality. Sets expectations that all processes are based on process controls and continuous improvement, ensuring that production is executed in accordance with applicable regulatory requirements, internal standards, and customer requirements.
• Leads the global sourcing team to maintain cost-efficient availability of materials and supplies, and achievement of inventory objectives driving sourcing strategy toward low cost region sourcing and manufacturing.
• Accountable for the overall financial performance of the operations team, focusing on revenue recognition, cost management, working capital management, and cash flow objectives.
• Works globally across all sites; Franklin MA, Winsford UK, Pune India and China Manufacturing Center in Shanghai to ensure collaboration and global focus on meeting customer and operational needs.
• Plans and recommends and executes investments to drive cost reduction, productivity improvement, and process controls.
• Drives continuous improvement and standard work across all organizational elements of the Enterprise using Key Performance Indicator metrics formats, balanced scorecards, and other systems of maintaining measurement and accountability.
• Consistently demonstrates Role Model Leadership and assists in the development and execution of sound programs that drive workforce motivation, employee engagement and meet the Company’s goal of being a great place to work.
• Collaborates with the Commercial, Marketing and R&D teams to drive revenue production meeting or exceeding quarterly targets.
Minimum Qualifications/ Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or technical field required, or equivalent experience. MBA desired
• Previous Plant Management experience or equivalent inclusive of minimum 10 years of progressive global manufacturing operations/business experience with direct responsibility for manufacturing operations including international facilities
• Experience developing and implementing an operational strategy and footprint in a global environment
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in the field of Continuous Improvement (PPI, Six Sigma and/or Lean) Methodologies
• Strong knowledge of quality theory, continuous improvement and Lean methodologies
• Experienced with coaching and developing Policy Deployment and the use of an X Matrix to align strategy deployment visible to the entire organization
• Estimate 30-40% travel. Monthly travel to operational sites, customer/supplier facilities when appropriate, select Thermo Fisher Scientific events and corporate functional meetings
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
• Ability to coach, manage and develop a manufacturing organization
• Exhibit strong influencing skills in a matrix environment; be approachable and involved with key constituencies at all levels and work effectively across geographic/functional lines
• Excellent communications skills with ability to communicate concepts, opportunities and project plans to all levels of a technical and non-technical organization
• Strong analytical capability and experience; strong business acumen with proven record of success in highly decentralized, matrix management environment
• Strong knowledge of manufacturing fabrication, product assembly/test processes and new product introduction launch processes
• Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement
• Demonstrated Role Model Leader Characteristics.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
This position has been approved for relocation.