When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Portable Analytical Instruments, a business unit of Thermo Fisher Scientific, is the leader in handheld XRF, Raman, and Infrared devices that enable precise material identification and characterization across a wide variety of end markets. It is the product of three acquisitions over the past decade and brings together a product portfolio with leading market positions globally.
Position Summary: We are seeking a Software Engineer with a broad computer engineering background (embedded systems, application and web) and skilled in C++/OOP to join a thriving research and development team. The candidate will work with the software engineering team to improve our existing products and develop our next generation portable devices.
Our technology is based on NIR, FTIR, Raman and X-Ray fluorescence. Our products are considered state of the art and we utilize the latest technology available to continuously evolve our product line. Please visit www.thermoscientific.com/pai for more information about our products and technologies.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Development and support of middleware, communications and other features for our portable scientific devices.
- Develop software modules based on object oriented programming (OOP) techniques in C++.
- Implement middleware applications in a Linux/ Qt environment.
- Work with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies in a Test Driven Development environment.
- Produce the appropriate level of functional and design specifications.
- Design, implement, test, and improve application framework features/libraries that effectively support a wide range of instruments.
- Proficient in developing with C++ in an embedded environment.
- Experience working with Linux and Windows.
- Design Pattern Experience.
- Enjoys solving problems and troubleshooting.
- Excellent communication skills.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics with a minimum of 3-5 years experience in the field.
- Must be U.S. Citizen or Green Card Holder
- SQL, schema and db experience
- Experience with Test Driven Development in an Agile Environment.
- Experience with Embedded Linux, Qt & Android is a big plus.
- GUI Development with QML
- XML and JSON
- Exposure to Valgrind, GIT, Jira and Confluence
This position does NOT have relocation assistance.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 55,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.