Legal Counsel – CHINA
Report to Legal Director of Thermo Fisher Scientific China.
A Legal Counsel shall work independently, under supervision of Legal Director, to provide substantial support on routine legal work, assess legal risks of business contracts and projects, and ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Legal services are generally provided to medium to large complex businesses. Duties include analysis and provision of legal advice focused on business-oriented solutions on a wide range of matters, including general commercial, manufacturing and sourcing etc. A Legal Counsel may have more than one assigned business group and several functions to counsel.
Core Job Responsibilities
• Reviewing, drafting and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts/documents that arise from the day to day operations of Thermo Fisher throughout China.
• Advising on specific regulatory and compliance requirements specific to the life science business and medical device industry.
• Advising on employment matters under the supervision of senior corporate counsel.
• Negotiating and interfacing with external parties to represent and protect company’s best interests.
• Reviewing and keeping updated on national and state legislation that may affect the life science business and/or medical device industry.
• Assessing legal risks and reporting and/or escalating the same to Legal Director.
• Managing claims, disputes, mediations, litigation and arbitrations if assigned to.
• Provides timely, pro-active and practical legal advice to internal business clients.
• Works together with Compliance, Finance, HR, Trade Compliance and Regulatory teams to ensure legal advices are available and properly provided to relevant stakeholders.
• Advises Legal Director of significant project developments /matters in a timely manner.
Location: Beijing (preferred) / Shanghai
Background Experience/Training Required
• PRC LLB is required (preferred with a reputable China university), while overseas legal education background is a plus.
• 6-8 years of working experiences.
• Admitted to practice law in China.
• High integrity and compliance
• Good judgment and commitment to delivering results.
• Strong drafting, negotiation and client communication skills.
• Energetic, highly efficient and business savvy.
• Team player.
Understanding and experience in following areas desirable
• Solid knowledge of general corporate law and contract law.
• In-house legal experience with a multinational company.
• Experience in employment matters is a plus.
• Experience in life science and/or medical device industry is a plus.
• Knowledge of trade compliance/ anti-bribery legislation.
A Legal Counsel needs to be highly motivated and enthusiastic with demonstrated initiative, adaptability and integrity, with strong communication skills, a cultural sensitivity to working in a multi-national company and the ability to work effectively in teams.
Languages: English and Mandarin Chinese