Job Title: Senior Director, Human Resources
Reports To: LSG Operations HR VP
Career Band: 10
Location: US – California - Carlsbad
Position Summary/Key Responsibilities: The Senior HR Director (Sr HRD) is a strategic business partner to the Biosciences Division (BID) Operations and Supply Chain leaders, and other Operations division and/or functional leaders as assigned, and their teams to translate business strategy into HR strategy and organizational needs to HR solutions and plans. This role will support the Operations leaders’ goals to hire, engage, and develop top talent and build the organizational capabilities required for short and long-term business success.
- Global responsibility to develop HR strategy, solutions and strategic workforce plans that align to the business and functional strategy and objectives.
- Facilitates organizational diagnosis and metrics to drive organizational effectiveness through talent and organizational capabilities and culture.
- Acts as a catalyst for change; guides and directs organizational design, development and change management solutions.
- Develops robust talent management plans and drives culture change initiatives to attract, retain, develop, and engage talent in critical roles
- Coaches senior leaders on complex leadership and HR issues including development, engagement, and talent performance and issues which could have the potential to create a competitive advantage for the business.
- Builds organizational capability through development and/or facilitation of appropriate senior leadership team (i.e., team effectiveness, goal development and alignment, manager capability, etc.)
- Keeps abreast of industry, market and functional trends, and leverages these insights to develop appropriate business unit HR strategies and solutions.
- Evaluates work requests from across the organization and determines prioritization in collaboration with the business and in alignment with the HR model.
- Manages HR resources and priorities, commissions HR solutions via the HR Generalist or HR Specialists or third party vendors, as appropriate, aligning to business and HR goals and leads successful implementation of initiatives.
- Helps guide Center of Excellence (COE) owners in the shaping of appropriate and innovative HR solutions.
- Ensures activities throughout the region are core, common and consistent.
- Stays abreast of changes in HR law and important issues which could impact the business and shares knowledge with business and HR teams.
- Represents HR on BU leadership teams and BU leadership on GSD HR Leadership team.
- Ensures fairness and organizational consistency with our 4-I Values in everything we do.
- BA/BS required, MA/MS preferred
- Senior Human Resources generalist from a large multi-national company with 10+ years of successful experience and a minimum of 2 years as senior HR business partner supporting executives in a global business unit.
- Experience as a strategic business partner with credibility as a trusted advisor and confidant to senior management on business issues and business strategy with the ability to link human resources as a driver and influencer of business performance.
- Comprehensive HR experience, including a complete understanding of and hands on exposure to the full mix of HR functions in a global environment.
- Experience with Process Improvement approaches (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, Practical Process Improvement, etc.)
- A track record of positive results and an ability to show how his/her programs and initiatives have contributed to the growth and bottom line profitability of an organization while enhancing or driving cultural change.
- Must have led/been directly involved in significant change management initiatives in prior roles.
- Ability to develop solid and positive professional relationships with senior leadership, subordinates and peers in a heavily matrixed environment
- Self motivated; bias for action
- Effective negotiating skills with proven ability to influence without direct authority
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to use a high level of tact, diplomacy, discretion and empathy/understanding in a global environment across multiple cultures.
- Must possess moderate computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, and email.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and manage associated stress.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong project management skills with ability to manage short term deliverables concurrent with longer-term strategic milestones
- Executive presence; Strong presentation skills
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time, as needed.
- Must demonstrate and drive the Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement (The Four I’s)