Job Title: HR Manager – Fixed term Contract
When you’re part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do challenging work, and be part of a team that values performance, quality and innovation. As part of a successful, growing global organization you will be encouraged to perform at your best. With revenues of $18 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Working within Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Speciality Diagnostic Group, within the Microbiology Division (MBD), our customers worldwide trust our microbiology solutions for the diagnosis of infectious disease and detection of bacterial contamination in industrial applications. We serve public health, clinical laboratories, food companies, environmental screening and pharmaceutical laboratories with a portfolio of products that include culture media, antimicrobial susceptibility testing solutions and market-leading molecular solutions for food safety testing
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with key leaders within the client group, ensuring working knowledge of business strategies, objectives and key deliverables to drive organizational capability
- Develop and implement HR processes and initiatives, in line with the Corporate, Divisional and UK HR strategies and in collaboration with client group to meet existing and future business needs.
- Manage and monitor the PMD (performance appraisal) process, advising on resultant capability, performance management and training issues as appropriate and driving the development of employees with potential to grow.
- Ensure appropriate performance improvement and development plans are in place and are being managed appropriately in line with Performance Management & Development (PMD), talent review and Human Resources Review (HRR) including succession planning processes
- Provide support to Managers regarding the setting and monitoring of performance standards. Assist Managers as appropriate with identification of training needs and recommend solutions to meet those needs. Monitoring that these training needs are met.
- Champion Corporate leadership development offerings and utilisation of Thermo Fisher University.
- Manage the annual compensation cycle and ensuring corporate guidelines are met and pay decisions are effectively calibrated
- Proactively identify employee engagement issues and ways to improve engagement within the business and work with client group to address, communicate and implement action plans utilizing the Employee Involvement Survey (EIS)
- Champion the HR transformation programme, effectively partnering with and leveraging the wider HR model (Workday, HR1 (shared services) and the CoE’s.)
- Work with client group to effectively embed the functional matrix and improve the effectiveness of cross functional team working.
- Partner with managers to develop Role Model Leader (RML) competency and develop leadership capability
- Support managers in providing effective on boarding for new hires and transfers
- Manage the talent acquisition process, participating in selection interviews as required.
- Provide advice, guidance and support to Managers in handling complex/sensitive disciplinary, grievance, competence, absence, harassment, maternity and equal opportunities issues, to ensure that procedural and legal requirements are met.
- Research, develop and consult on the implementation/revision of existing and/or new policies and procedures, to ensure best practice and compliance with current employment legislation in conjunction with the other Microbiology sites, Corporate Thermo Fisher UK HR teams and legal counsel
- Contribute to the development of the Annual Operating Plan for client group and monitor headcount and other reporting data as appropriate.
- Own and report regularly on HR metrics and achievement of HR related KPI’s and/or site people metrics, responsibility for data integrity
- Share good practice and knowledge across the HR Community, including providing support and cover across MBD UK where there are specific service pressures.
- Support the client group in establishing continuous improvement culture (Practical Process Improvement) by challenging current processes and supporting improvements to enable team to leverage strengths and optimize support
Site wide and cross-functional duties will include, but will not be limited to, a combination of the following:
- Ensure compliance to statutory and regulatory people related standards, including ownership for the effectiveness and accuracy of related processes
- Ownership of the effectiveness of HR administration processes (new hire, leaver, job change, absence tracking, benefits administration)ensuring relevant interfaces between processes and leading process and change activity as the HR model evolves
- Oversees effective payroll delivery, ensuring relevant interfaces between payroll, benefits and HR administration
- Partners with the Community Action Council, acting as the site point of contact, ensuring and enabling the committee to meet and exceed annual CSR targets
- Partners with employee representatives and facilities their engagement with senior leadership and employees across all functions. Acts as the conduit to the UK employee communication forum, providing support as necessary.
- Leads and coordinates the delivery of site induction days ensuring appropriate, frequency, resources and material.
- Leads and coordinates site engagement activities and initiatives managing resources and stakeholders as required
- Any other tasks/duties deemed to be within the competence of the post-holder.
- Fully qualified member of CIPD, with a thorough understanding of UK Employment legislation and HR best practice
- Broad generalist, operational HR experience, working closely with operations site management teams in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated experience within multi-site complex matrix environment, preferably in a large corporation
- Enthusiastic, persistent and able to deal with ambiguity
- Excellent communicator, and able to use interpersonal skills effectively, especially tact, diplomacy, persuading and influencing, across all levels of the organization
- Ability to build strong relationships and establish credibility with people at all levels.
- Ability to manage a high and diverse workload, work under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrates a continuous improvement mindset with a process focused approach
- Highly PC literate and a good knowledge of MS applications, is comfortable with data
- Experience of an evolved HR model (employee/manager self-service, shared services, CoE’s.)
- Minimal Travel required within UK