When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Electrical Design Engineer is responsible for the design and integration of control electronics which will be used in systems that emulate effects of the electrostatic discharge (ESD) on semiconductors or the electromagnetic interference (EMI) on any type of operational equipment. These products are complex electro- or electro-mechanical systems that are able to simulate electromagnetic pulses produced by either static electricity discharges or running the type of machinery that introduces unwanted disturbances into typical electrical circuits. The system elements under electronic control include: complex charge/discharge circuitry tailored to a specific type of electromagnetic pulses; waveform-shaping networks based on RC-filters; high voltage supplies; high speed source measure units and power amplifiers; data imaging and mechanical positioning systems.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Design, integrate, test, and debug electronic controls for new Component Reliability (CR) and Electromagnetic Compliance (EMC) products using internal phase gate process
- Conduct system-level configuration of electronics architectures using analog and digital circuit design
- Working closely with Sales and Marketing develop and design innovative and unique solutions to the company’s line of CR/EMC testers
- Responding in a timely manner to application engineering requests made by Sales or Marketing design new features and provide improvements to the existing products.
- Debug and troubleshoot existing electronic designs including hands-on debug activities such as noise suppression and grounding schemes
- Provide expert consultations for any requests made by the current and/or prospective customers
- Provide timely engineering support for the internal manufacturing, field service and quality groups
- Specify and document projects from concept through release to manufacturing
- Provide complete engineering drawings, specifications and other technical documentation necessary for successful product introductions
- Interfacing directly with external vendors provide comprehensive documentation that would support the production and deployment of new or next-generation systems
- 5-15% travel to key customers may be required
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum of 4 years of combined board and system level design, debug and deployment
- Ability to run SPICE simulations and create SPICE models
- Experience with FPGA design, preferably Lattice
- Wide breadth of experience in design and debugging of complex, highly-integrated systems
- PCB designs from concept through to manufacturing with minimal support infrastructure
- Experience in developing Low to High voltage applications
- Ability to provide accurate estimates of time and cost for assigned projects
- Strong project management and product application skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Open and friendly interpersonal skills
- Process oriented self starter who is willing to learn
- Organized and data driven with strong attention to detail
- RF design and knowledge involving transmission lines is a plus
- Electrostatic test experience is a plus
- Software skills in Visual Basic and C# is a plus
- Experience in the design of high speed power supplies/amplifiers is a plus
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.