As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than USD 17 billion in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives. At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
In Finland we have around 700 employees in Joensuu and Vantaa. The Vantaa facility houses several different functions such as R&D, marketing, sales, service, logistics, quality as well as instrument and reagent manufacturing and is located close to the Vantaankoski railway station.
Data Analyst, Bioinformatics
We are now seeking a data analyst to Bioinformatics team in our R&D organization in Microbiology Division to work in close collaboration with a wide variety of people from various backgrounds, such as bioinformaticians, microbiologists, and software developers. We acknowledge that no one knows everything from the start and therefore we are looking for an active person who is not afraid to communicate, learn, and ask.
We expect that you have a keen interest in analysis of data. We serve other teams in their data analysis needs and therefore you should have a friendly attitude and willingness to help others. We are doing new things and therefore you should be able to learn new tools, new methods, and new applications areas. The team is small and we possess expertise knowledge in diverse areas. We don’t have time to micromanage and you definitely should be self-motivated and having a self-starter attitude.
- Analysis and processing of microbiological measurement data
- Participation in development of bioinformatics tools and algorithms.
- Development of data mining and machine learning algorithms.
- Proficiency in a script language, such as R, Matlab, or Python. We use R. You will learn it quickly if you know Matlab or Python.
- You must have some programming experience
- Experience in algorithm development would be an asset.
- Experience or studies in statistics would be an asset
- Knowledge of C#, .Net, or C/C++ would be an asset
- Any experience in machine learning or data mining would be nice.
- Knowledge proteomics would be nice.
- Knowledge taxonomy would be nice.
- Knowledge bioinformatics would be nice.
This position will require
- Active, open, and curious mind. There will be many things to learn.
- Good communications skills with international partners by phone and emails.
- Ability to write documents and speak in clear and concise English language.
- May require some travel.
We look forward to receiving your application, including a cover letter, CV and salary request in English. Please apply via career page https://ljobs.thermofisher.com. Reference: 51072BR
Application deadline is August 15, 2017
If you have questions about Thermo Fisher Scientific and/or the position - your are welcome to call the R&D Manager Tuomo von Lerber either July 14th between 10-11AM or August 1st between 1-2PM.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.