This position is responsible for leading, developing, implementing, and overseeing the maintenance of internal import/export processes and controls to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with U.S. Government import/export regulations (ITAR, EAR, U.S. Customs and Border Protection Regulations, Economic Embargo Regulations, etc). Responsibilities include assessment and analysis of current trade and product compliance programs, as well as for developing targeted and broad based training programs to address the weaknesses identified during assessments. Develop trainings to ensure compliance, and support new regulatory requirements that may impact business operations now or in the future.
- Work with global team members, business leaders and other key stakeholders to successfully implement a trade compliance program consisting of internal import/export processes and controls to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with U.S. government import/export regulations.
- Manage and oversee the maintenance of internal import/export processes and controls, and upgrade internal policies and processes to ensure on-going compliance.
- Influence all functions in the organization regarding the importance of compliance to U.S. Government import/export regulations, drive understanding in each function related to their responsibilities, and provide leadership to ensure process adherence and improvements.
- May mentor other functional managers in day to day import/export activities.
- Assist with strategic projects to improve efficiency, compliance, and cost reduction initiatives.
- Coordinate with various internal functions in obtaining the necessary U.S. Government import/export licenses, agreements, permits, certifications and technology release determinations.
- Manage and maintain reports and metrics pertaining to various elements of import/export process, and report out on trends, areas of concern and improvement opportunities.
- Manage and maintain import/export files and records in accordance with U.S. Government import/export regulations and Company policies.
- Identify training needs, develop and provide training pertaining to import/export requirements.
- Monitor import/export compliance through self-assessment audits with the goal of identifying weaknesses and risk. Develop actionable plans and procedures to mitigate those risks.
- Serve as the primary interface regarding interpretation of regulatory requirements or Company trade policies and procedures with all facility personnel.
- Lead investigations and other compliance matters.
- Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, vision, values and culture of the organization.
- Monitor regulatory changes affecting Customs requirements and translate changes into operational procedures.
- Drive, support and participate in Lean Initiatives through process performance improvements as a way of working.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of leadership experience in import/export trade compliance management.
- Demonstrated strengths will include a highly collaborative work style, the ability to anticipate problems, success in resolving difficult situations, and effectively communicate with all levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to weigh risk areas and business objectives to propose realistic solutions. Turn complex compliance requirements into scalable processes.
- Ability to apply U.S. Government regulatory requirements in complex scenarios.
- Ability to work independently and pro-actively, with minimal guidance and supervision. Ability to exercise leadership, influence, and sound judgment.
- Compliance experience in manufacturing and finished product procurement environments.
- A mix of compliance and program management experience.
- Experience auditing import and export operations.
- Expert analytical and computer skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- 20% travel domestic and international.
- Action Oriented - Possesses a high energy level and understand the need for speed and agility in accomplishing tasks within ones area of responsibility.
- Organized – Completes and manages daily tasks and projects in a systematic and orderly manner. Works efficiently and effectively utilizes their time.
- Problem Solving - Uses data, logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions and minimizes the impact of emotion and personal interest in decision making.
- Improvement Oriented – Consistently view existing method and processes for improvement.
- Business Acumen - Knowledgeable in current and possible future practices, trends, and technology related to purchasing, inventory and supply chain management.
- Customer Focus - Exemplifies dedication to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Drive for Results - Consistently hits the goals and objectives set while always focusing on driving towards stretch goals.
- Adaptability: Flexible, adjusts readily to new situations and changing priorities while effectively dealing with ambiguity, stress and uncertainty.