About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands – Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Job Title: Engineer/Scientist I
Reports To: Team Leader
Career Band: 4
Job Track: Professional
Position Location: Basingstoke
Number of Direct Reports: None
The Engineer/Scientist I carries out quality control testing in accordance with the test specifications and methods, for a designated product group or groups, to ensure testing is completed within schedule.
Assist with the training and development of new personnel.
This role has accountability for supporting the delivering of results within in line with the site strategy (strategic A3) through the target achievement of key metrics namely;
- Quality Control schedule adherence
- Training and development
- Engagement and attendance
- Continuous improvement
- Role-model the Thermo Fisher 4I Values and use as a day-to-day guide in decision making.
- Carry out Product Performance Testing in accordance with Oxoid test specifications and methods
- Plan, track and control the progress of products under test, and provide accurate availability dates to planning and customer services
- Release of raw material and product against defined specifications
- Ensure processes and procedures are carried out in accordance with the laboratory and company Quality Systems
- Ensure all test results are recorded within the SAP Quality Management module
- Alert team leader of potential problems/failures and assist with further investigation
- Build and maintain effective working relationships to ensure robust collaboration cross-functionally and with key stakeholders (key interfaces include Team Leader, PP Manager, warehouse, production, distribution, QA, customer services and planning) to ensure customer service level targets are met
- Liaise with team leader regarding prioritization of product and raw material testing.
- Assist with coaching, training and qualification of personnel to acquire all skills necessary to performance product and material testing in a safe and quality manner
- Engage in PPI lean methodology including standard work and tier meetings. Use PPI processes to solve problems and improve departmental and business processes
- To fulfill the responsibilities of the position as defined in the Oxoid Health, Safety and Environmental policies and associated Codes of Practice. To actively promote Health and Safety awareness of all other employees.
- HNC / Degree in Microbiology or Chemistry
- Effective planning and organizational skills
- Decision Quality - Attention to detail and a systematic approach
- Problem Solving - Effective in technical and organisational troubleshooting to root cause
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Communicates openly creating collaborative relationships by developing strong work relationships, displaying integrity and building trust across functions
- Significant experience of product performance testing within a microbiology laboratory environment
- Drive for Results - Delivering consistent results by being action oriented, demonstrating organizational agility, planning effectively and setting priorities.