When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Anatomical Pathology Division (APD) provides laboratories with the broadest portfolio of instrument and consumable solutions, from specimen collection and grossing to advanced staining and cover slipping. The Division generates $400MM in annual revenue and has 1,500 employees in 13 countries. The anatomical pathology product line includes Richard Allan Scientific, Erie Scientific, Microm, Shandon, and Lab Vision.
We are currently are seeking an Operations Director/Site Leader to lead, plan, organize, and manage execution of supply chain operations at our Kalamazoo, MI manufacturing site. The ideal candidate will have exceptional technical and leadership skills in creating operational excellence.
- Lead and manage all aspects of site-specific supply chain operations including production, factory planning, procurement, manufacturing engineering, project management, new product participation, logistics, factory service and repair, inventory management, and customer service/fulfillment.
- In coordination with Division initiatives and policy deployment framework, develop, publish, maintain and deploy strategy for the site including appropriate reviews and metrics.
- In coordination with Group, Division and Functional structure, develop key performance metrics that allow tracking of performance in the areas of financial, customer, growth, quality, process and people.
- Develop, maintain and manage annual operating plan budget and spending, including implementing appropriate changes during the course of the fiscal year.
- Lead strategies and initiatives to implement processes and systems that improve quality, optimize cost structure, minimize regulatory risk, and improve customer satisfaction.
- Manage projects, activities and resources to ensure that customer requirements are met in terms of quality, product availability and cost effectiveness.
- Oversee PPI deployment and achievement of PPI savings throughout the site.
- Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders in the business segments and other functions to assure the manufacturing site contributes to overall success of the business.
- Responsible for EHS system and compliance and for overall facility services management including security.
- Assure top talent is hired, trained, retained and developed.
- Ensure all activities are in compliance with the Thermo Fisher Code of Conduct and Quality System Requirements.
- This position may, or may not, be designated as a Site Leader (see below)
- Bachelor's Degree required with a preference on Engineering/Technical discipline; Master/advanced degree is preferred
- 12 years minimum experience with a Bachelor's degree or 9 years experience with a Master's degree
- 10 years of work experience in supply chain/operations and 3 years of plant management experience directing operations; medical device/regulated industry experience is preferred
- Multi-company experience required with a preference for multi-industry experience
- Deep practitioner knowledge and experience in Lean and Six Sigma methodologies
- Strong analytical skills with high critical thinking ability
- Working knowledge of strategy processes and policy deployment
- Proven ability to effectively balance tactical response with strategic vision
- Proven experience and success at leading organizational and cultural change
- Superior ability to solve problems while minimizing ad hoc approaches and firefighting behavior
- Proven ability to drive high engagement and involvement of workforce at all levels
- Superior interpersonal and presentation skills with proven ability to communicate at all organizational levels
- Competence in financial management and working knowledge of income statements, balance sheets and cash flow
- Travel requirement typically approximately 10% with some international travel required