Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and approximately 57,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
The Anatomical Pathology Division (APD) provides laboratories with the broadest portfolio of instrument and consumable solutions, from specimen collection and grossing to advanced staining and cover slipping. The Division generates $400MM in annual revenue and has 1,500 employees in 13 countries. The anatomical pathology product line includes Richard Allan Scientific, Erie Scientific, Microm, Shandon, and Lab Vision.
The Laboratory Applications Specialist will be responsible for product support and troubleshooting of instrumentation, instrumentation applications, and consumable product lines. This includes all products within the Thermo Scientific, Richard-Allan, Shandon and Lab Vision portfolios. The successful candidate must have the ability to effectively communicate, perform histological lab procedures and utilize best practices at all times. Duties include performing basic to advanced troubleshooting and resolving customer issues primarily via the product support phone and email systems. Customers include end users, direct Sales team, distributors/channel partners, field-based Applications and Service employees, as well as internal employees. The position also includes full use of JDE (ERP) Service Module for instrumentation documentation and follow-up, as well as the 123Compliance Complaint Management System for quality-related matters. The Laboratory Applications Specialist will represent the company in a positive, professional manner in all dealings with Thermo Fisher Scientific customers - both external and internal.
- Interpret and understand customer user requirements and how they relate to product functionality
- Make pertinent product suggestions based upon customer application and provide assistance in achieving optimal product results
- Provide troubleshooting expertise and resolution of technical issues over the phone and by email
- Assist in technical literature writing and review
- Conduct product training as required for customers, distributors and direct employees
- Document and submit all quality complaints according to established procedures
- Provide periodic reports to management including compilations of customer complaints, trend analyses and suggestions for improvement
- Review available academic literature in order to maintain awareness of current laboratory practices and procedures
- Participate in new product development, internal verification testing, customer validation and post-launch support activities
- Up to 25% Travel is required and may be asked to travel within hours for urgent customer needs
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor
- AS/BS Degree in a clinical laboratory science or related field
- The position requires an HT- or HTL (ASCP) certified histologist with a minimum of 3-5 years experience in histology
- .The successful candidate should also have demonstrated computer experience in a Windows environment to include Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Must possess the ability to work within a team environment and have a customer-centric focus with an appropriate sensitivity and sense of urgency for customer issues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, problem-solving, listening, and organizational skills.
- High level of interpersonal and written communication skills, presentation skills and technical writing skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision in both a laboratory and office environment
- Demonstrated technical learning ability, troubleshooting ability, and customer-facing skill set
- Position requires maintaining ongoing professional certifications, technical acumen, and overall development of product knowledge, as applicable.
- Database ERP software (JD Edwards) experience is desirable.
- Experience in a technical service call center or in a product support role is also desirable.
- Experience with, or exposure to, EPIC, Cerner, Meditech, and CoPath is highly preferred
- Based on product support requirements and potential needs, other certifications may be applicable to include Computer Information Systems, LIS, LIMS, and Digital Pathology related requirements
This position is not approved for relocation assistance.